A Bridge

"Are you a concept too?" I ask.

"A concept?" he asks.

Shirayuki finally looks up from her game. She says, "you can see me, can't you?"

"Yes, I can see you."

"You can see her?"

"Yes, I can see her."

"So what does that make you?"

He puts both hands on the table. "I'm someone you've been waiting for - for a while. Even though we've met already, maybe more than once, that was what might have been curiosity on my part." The Fox's voice is as high as ever. "I just wanted to see what kind of person you are, Mr. Maeda."

I ignore the remark. "Why has it taken so long?"

"Everything is in very sensitive balance." He raises two hands, aligning his manicured fingers to make a line. He lifts one side higher. "There is an order and timing in which things must be done to reach the goal. Like a farmer must wait for the right season to till his land and sow his seeds. Like dealing with certain tendons and meridians first in a massage, or it might cause more damage than good. We can only move on when you've come to terms with some things."

"So, another words, to put it simpler, you know all about the yearbook?"

"Well, yes, I know much more than I should."

I shift uncomfortably. Everyone seems to know much more about me than they should. Perhaps they know more than I know myself.

"Regardless, everything has a purpose, I'm here for a purpose of course. You and I have come a long way. There's just one last thing to do. I'm here to give you something and you need to give me something in return."

"When am I supposed to see the man about the contract?"

"Very soon, but not now."

"Do you work for him?"

"You could say that in layman's terms. I do 'work' for him. But that's not exactly the case."

I don't bother to press further. "Will you give me a name at least?"

"There's no need for names here. You probably don't realize it, but this place is kind of special. You being here is no random occasion at all. In fact, the first time you entered might have been what opened up a few possibilities in your course of life. We stand at cross roads here, and there are multiple choices to make. But if we remain here, we can stay for as long as we want, and nothing will ever come to harm us."

"Why do we not stay here then?"

"It would be dangerous," the Fox says simply. "The world would slowly cease to exist in our point of reference and you would always lose bits of yourself like crumbs falling off of bread. It's not good to stay in one place for too long. Definitely not in limbo. The person you are looking for is still out there. She won't simply appear here if you remain here."

I take a deep breath. "Do you know where she is?"

"No, I don't. But perhaps my superior might."

"What do I have to do?"

"Good question." He pulls out something from beneath the table, as if he had been hiding it all along. It's a jar, a simple glass jar, like one for jam or pickled food. "Take this to this address," he slides a piece of paper the size of a business card over. On it is written Resso Coffee Ltd. and an address out in Chiba. "Fill this jar with soil, and ask them for coffee plant seeds. They will know who it's for and why. Once you've 'planted' the bean, close the cap and bring it back with you."