Chapter 1

The loud buzzer went off as it did every morning at 5 am. I reluctantly pulled off my thin blankets and slid out of bed. The cold air nipped at my toes as I padded across the concrete floor of the cell.

They didn't call it a cell. They called it the living quarters, but I knew that it was nothing but a cold cell. 'They' are the people who owned me. Well they aren't exactly people. More like demons.

This place I was being kept was call Purgatory. Not Heaven, but not Hell. Either way, I didn't want to be here. Most of the people that resided here had invested their soul purpose to finding a way to make a supernatural being that could overpower the gates of Purgatory, freeing everyone trapped here. They used to own 5,000 test subjects but now all they had left was me. 

T.S. 1192

That was my name. The overseers saw no purpose in giving us each a name, so instead we are labeled with numbers. I used to have a name. I don't remember it though. My memory was washed the day I was brought here.

I picked up the clothes that the overseers had assigned to me and put them on. It was an off white jumpsuit that was about four sizes too big. It also had my label displayed on my left shoulder.

I quickly brushed my teeth and grabbed the small comb laying on the sink. As I was tugging it through my hair it snapped in half. I cursed in my head as I picked up the broken piece laying on the floor. I looked in the small mirror at my reflection. I wasn't gorgeous but I certainly wasn't ugly. I had dark brown hair that ended half way down my back and grey eyes with yellow surrounding the pupil making them appear to be green when I stood in the light. I was 5'8'' and about 100 lbs. I should have weighed more but the overseers fed me only enough to keep me alive.

"Test Subject 1192, please report to the laboratory. I repeat. Test Subject 1192, please report to the laboratory." A very loud female voice boomed over the intercom making me jump a little.

I quickly headed out into the corridor in the direction of the lab, cursing myself for missing my breakfast.

I reached the door to the lab just as I was about to be late and quickly swung the door open. I felt the door connect with something very solid just as someone let out a small groan of pain.

A stared wide-eyed at the man I had just clobbered with the door in shock. He didn't look like an overseer but he did look like someone of importance. He was no more than 25. His blonde hair was neatly styled and his green eyes held authority, and at the moment, pain.

"You know, for someone no bigger than my pinky, you really know how to swing a door." He said glancing down at me. His voice was deep and authoritative.

I bowed my head in submission since I was forbidden to speak to anyone. Not that I would know how if I could.

He noticed I hadn't spoken to him so he gently lifted my chin so that I would look into his eyes, but as soon as his finger touched my skin a surge of electricity surged through me causing him to jerk his hand back.

"Ow! What the hell was that?" He questioned me.

"Oh. Luke, I wouldn't touch her if I were you." One of the many officials said. His name tag read, Dr. Rakierre. "She just got that lovely new addition yesterday and she can't control it yet!" He stated sounding a little over-excited.

The man I presumed was Luke stared at Dr. Rakierre in disbelief.

"You did that to her?" He questioned him, almost menacingly.

"Why yes! Isn't it beautiful?" Dr. Rakierre said ignoring the anger in Luke's voice.

Luke glared at the official. 

"What the hell has gotten into you, Dad?

I gasped when I realized Luke was Dr. Rakierre's son, earning a look of concern from Luke.

"Don't you use that tone with me boy." Dr. Rakierre sneered.

"As your new Official Overseer I will do as I please." Luke shot back at his father.

He looked back to me and his eyes softened.

"Have you had anything to eat yet?" He asked taking a step closer to me.

At first I just looked at the ground, not wanting to say no. I didn't feel worthy of his pity, and I didn't want to draw anymore attention to myself. But my stomach betrayed me and made a small growl.

"I take that as a no." Luke chuckled as he pulled my small frame into his much larger, muscular one. Making sure not to let our skin come in contact.

"You can't just take her! We haven't even run through the basic tests yet this morning!" Dr. Rakierre yelled at Luke. Obviously getting pissed off.

"Oh really?" Luke smirked at his father. I had to admit, a smirk was really hot on him. "Who is gonna stop me?"

With that he turned around and pulled me with him out the door. We started walking down the corridor but then he made a turn going in the opposite direction of the cafeteria.

 I furrowed my eyebrows confused as the building became more and more unfamiliar.

"Don't worry," He said as we approached an elevator. "I'm taking you up to my penthouse so you can get a decent meal."

We loaded into the elevator and he swiped a card. The elevator started moving up, making a 'ding' sound between each floor. 

Then he turned to me and looked into my eyes. I noticed his eyes were full of sorrow.

"Then we are gonna make a plan to get you out of here."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note

Hi guys! This is my first story and I hope you enjoy!!! Please vote and comment!! I would love to hear your opinions! I can also use critiques to improve my writing!!