Chapter One

2017-A Few Months Later

I blinked as a bright light flashed in my face. Was this heaven? It seemed a lot quieter than heaven. I always imagined it to be like an open field, with angels and souls floating around, but this was just a simple room with a few decorations. I sat up, and a thin blanket slid off. I glanced down, surprised. I thought that in heaven you were supposed to be wearing the long, silky toga dresses, not jeans and a t-shirt.

I slid over to the side of the bed, letting my feet rest on the floor. There was a faint radio playing in the background, though I wasn't listening to the station.

A quiet knock came on the door, and a woman walked in.

"Good morning."

"Where am I?" She didn't look like an angel.

"She smiled softly. "You're in a recovery room in New York City."

I looked toward the radio. That song had been playing two years before. Why would anyone play a two-year old song on the radio?

I looked back at the woman suspiciously. "Where am I, really?"

She looked back at me. "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"This song. It was released in May, 1958. I know 'cause I was at the release party with my mother; we know the artist. No one in their right minds would play this song two years after it went off the charts. Most people don't even know why it was on the charts in the first place.

I stood up. Even if I'm short, I am intimidating. I stared at her. "Now I'm going to ask you again." I walked toward her menacingly. "Where am I." She clenched something in her fist.

"Miss Rogers..."

I cut her off. "Who are you?" I yelled at her.

The door opened behind her and two armed men in black walked in. I looked at them, and my eyes widened. Oh, shoot. I backed up a little.

The next thing I knew, I had wrestled them to the wall, punching them until the wall broke. I jumped out, looking around. The view from the window was just a banner hung up outside the room, and I was in a bigger open room.

"Miss Rogers, wait!" The woman called out, jumping over the soldiers and running after me as I ran out the door.

I heard her say something, but I couldn't make out exactly what it was.

Her voice was broadcasted as I found myself in a busy hallway. What was this place? The people in the hallway turned to look at me, and I began running as fast as I could in the opposite direction.

I ran out of the building and onto a road, looking around in confusion. There were massive buildings around me, and huge screens flashing around me. The cars were different as well.

Where was I? I turned and began running. Cars continued honking at me as I whirled around.

"Calm down, kid." I turned around to see a man in a long black coat and a black eyepatch. He walked toward me as cars surrounded me and more men in black stood around.

"Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there, but... We thought it best to break it to you slowly."

I looked at him, confused. "Break what?" I was still breathing heavily.

"You've been asleep, Elizabeth." He paused. "For almost sixty years."

What?! I stared around in shock. Sixty years!

"Are you gonna be okay?"

"Yeah. yeah, it's just..." I paused.

"I was looking for my father."

The man, whose name ended up being Nick Fury, led me into his car. I still couldn't believe it. Sixty years. Sixty. Nearly sixty years I had missed of my own life. I was seventy-three. Seventy-three years old in a fifteen-year-old's body.

I was silent as he drove the car to an unknown destination.

"Before we fully introduce you to the new world, we thought it best to, maybe, let you slowly settle yourself into it." He spoke calmly, as if he knew what he was talking about. As if he'd done this before.

"We'll introduce you to a few people, though we will begin by leaving you at a friend of mine. Her name is Natasha, and I think you should get to know each other. She'll look after you for a little while."

We drove for a while, and I was still trying to grasp what had happened. He eventually pulled up into a small field in surrounded by a forest outside the city with a small cabin. I realized that two black cars were still following us.

"Security," Fury told me when he saw me watching them. "We don't want anything to happen to you."

He lead me up a long path and knocked at the door. "Nat, we're here."

The door opened to reveal a red-headed woman in a tank-top and jeans with a jacket around her shoulders. She smiled as she saw us.

"Hey, come in." She led us into the cabin. "You must be Elizabeth. I'm Natasha." I nodded at her, not exactly trusting myself to speak.

"Well, I need to go. Take care of her, Nat. And Elizabeth...good luck."

"Elizabeth, do you, maybe, want me to show you to your room?" I blinked, then shrugged.

I followed her down a short hallway and she opened a door to a neutrally colored room with a simple bed and desk. There was a window on one of the walls, and a dresser on the opposite.

"Well, make yourself at home," Natasha said warmly. She showed me around the small cabin.

She wasn't too bad, I supposed.

I didn't want to go outside anytime soon.

I just wanted my old life back.

I didn't want to deal with this century any longer, so Natasha lent me a pair of her pajamas, a comfortable tee-shirt and sweatpants. I curled up in my new bed.

Did I really want to live like this?