Chapter Four

Elizabeth Rogers

"Okay, so Nat and Wanda are coming over, they forced me to let you have a 'girls' day' together. They want to catch you up a bit and, I'm quoting Natasha here, 'revamp and update her wardrobe.' Wasn't sure if you'd agree or not, but they'll be here in about a half-hour, so you might want to get dressed or something. Or, you know, you can go out with them in pajamas." Steve, Dad, shrugged. "Whatever you prefer. I'll be at HQ if you need to reach me or something."

I shoved the last spoonful of cereal into my mouth before pushing myself back from the table and sliding off the chair. "Sure, I'll go with them." I dropped the plastic bowl and spoon into the trash on my way out of the kitchen before heading to my room.

Once there, I tried to pull an acceptable outfit together, before realizing that I didn't know what was acceptable anymore. Combat boots were fine, I decided. So were the faded blue jeans I was wearing when I woke up after ice.

I determined that a grey cotton shirt should work, too. Plus, it was comfortable. I stepped back, surveying myself in the mirror. It looked like a toned-down version of what Natasha wore on a daily basis but with a higher neckline, which I thought was fine. I pulled on a thin jacket and went to wait in the kitchen with my father for the two women to come.

He gave me a once over before nodding. "I think you're fine. It looks like what I would wear, to be honest." I dropped onto the couch next to him, and he slipped an arm around my shoulder and groaned as a bell dinged somewhere. "It's my phone," he informed me as he pulled a thin piece of what looked like glass out of his pocket and held his thumb to a small circle ringed with silver metal.

He must have seen the look on my face, because he laughed and tilted the device toward me. The screen was now colored, with a picture of Natasha in the middle. He tapped a small circle, and she spoke.

"Hey Steve, we're running a bit late, we'll be by you in ten. Is Elizabeth ready yet?"

He turned to look at me. "Yeah, she's right here. You alright with that, ten minutes?" He directed the second part to me, and I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

"Great. See you. Also, Wanda says you should wait outside so we can leave as soon as possible."

"Gotcha."

"Bye."

"Bye," he responded before hanging up.

"Can I see it?" I asked, referring to the phone.

"Yeah, but if you have any questions about it, I know next to nothing. You'd need to ask Stark," he said as he handed it to me.

"My god, technology has gone crazy since I was last around it," I said, turning it over in my palms. The screen lit up suddenly.

"What did I just do?" I said nervously.

"Nothing, it turned on. Here." He held his thumb to the same circle as before. "Touch ID. It'll only unlock with my fingerprints. And Stark can do whatever he wants with it, because he invented it. All the Avengers tech, anyway. He doesn't trust the other companies not to steal the information we keep."

I nodded and ran my fingers over the Stark Industries logo on the back. "Cool. I need to ask Tony how this works."

He laughed. "If you can understand him. Honestly, that man talks a mile a minute and I doubt it's all even English!"

I grinned at him. "I'll try my best to keep up. I do speak three languages, after all."

"You take after your mother, don't you?" He said fondly. "I don't even know a quarter of what she knows."

"Yeah, she made me learn Spanish pretty early on, and then told me I had to choose a third language to learn myself, so I chose French. I was going to try Russian, afterwards, to surprise her, but, you know, ice happened. So that didn't."

"Hey, Nat's Russian. Maybe she could help you out."

"Maybe. I'll ask her."

"Yeah, you should. It would be awesome to have a quadrilingual daughter."

"That sounds like a mouthful," I grinned.

"Oh, yeah. Also, you should start a list of stuff you need to check out. Like the internet, so helpful. And movies, books, music, etcetera. I started one, and it really helped me catch up a bit. Maybe buy a small notebook when you're out, get started right away."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'll ask if we can buy one."

"Okay, princess, let's go." Natasha and Wanda stood in the doorway of our apartment.

"Don't call me princess," I answered the Russian as I stood up from my spot on the couch. "See you, Dad."

"Have fun, you three," he responded as the two girls basically dragged me out the door.

"So we're going clothing shopping first, because you need clothing. And then we'll get food, because you need to try food. And then we're going to begin your education of movies and things. Got it? Good," Natasha said in one breath.

"Slow down, Romanoff, you'll fry her brains out if you continue speaking that quickly." Wanda reasoned. "We're shopping, then fooding, then pop-culturing. If you didn't understand what she said."

"Yeah, thanks Maximoff," I replied sarcastically. "I speak english, it's my first language."

"You say that like you speak more than one. Which ones?" Natasha questioned as we entered her car and she began driving.

"Well, I'm fluent in Spanish and French, too, and I was supposed to learn Russian too-"

"I'm Russian!" Natasha interrupted excitedly. "I'll teach you!"

"Yeah, Dad told me to ask you..."

"Why not? I'd totally teach you! And Wanda and Pietro can teach you Sokovian-"

"That's a lot of languages," Wanda said, cutting her off. "I'm not sure if the human brain can keep track of all of them."

"Good thing she's a Super Soldier, then, eh?" Natasha replied cheekily. "I'd bet her brain has the capacity for way more than..." she paused, counting to herself, "five languages. Yeah, five languages is probably nothing. Stupid car, hurry up!" She complained to the car in front of us as she honked. "Asshole," she muttered under her breath.

"Language," I chided, to which the two girls burst into laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"Your father said the same thing to Stark a little while back. Only he said something a bit worse than asshole."

"I can imagine," I said with a smile.

"We're here!" Natasha sang out as we pulled up to the front of a massive store.

"Finally!" Wanda groaned as we parked.

"Okay, we're sticking together, and by the end of the day you'll have an awesome wardrobe. Not to mention Tony will have some cool bulletproof suit for you sometime in the near future, even if Steve doesn't let you on missions yet." I followed Natasha and Wanda wordlessly as we entered the store.

"We're definitely starting with casual," Wanda proclaimed as she dragged me behind her. "Get you some basic pieces and then work our way on from there. Ooh, how about this?" She asked as she held up a black and white t-shirt.

"This is better," Natasha announced, holding up a shirt with the Avengers on it.

I groaned to myself. This was going to be a very long day.

(A/N: I apologize for not updating for a while. School has definitely been my top priority the past few months, and I don't know if I'll really be able to update any of my books until closer to the summer. I'll do my best though.

-Alli)