9: two bits favor part one

I begin to think about my dad. I still can't believe he has cancer again. But then again he doesn't. As of now, he's not even born yet. Dad wasn't here until 1970. This is almost 1967. But if I stayed in the future, dad would be dying and I wouldn't have met these people. I wouldn't have lived their lives for this long. I wouldn't even had read the book. But I did and here I am. 

What I'm upset about is the fact that he never told me. He was always mad at me because he couldn't tell me, if that makes sense. He was always pushing me to be perfect because he knew that deep down, he wasn't. He knew I had a chance at life but his would fall short. He knew he would die soon. Why didn't he tell me so I wouldn't take it as hard? 

"Anybody home?" a voice calls as they open the door. Dally walks in by himself.

"Hey, kaylee!"he says a little happily.  I look up at him and his smile fades to a confused frown. He walks over beside me. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asks. "You look a little down." 

"Yeah. Do you remember when we were talking, and we mentioned our parents?" 

"Yeah." 

"I got a letter from my mom last night. My dad has cancer again and they don't know if he's gonna make it this time," I answer. 

"Kaylee,I'm real sorry..." he says. 

"It's okay. I just- I don't know what to- what to do. I..." I try to continue but I feel the pain overcome my senses again. Tears fill my eyes and he watches with uncertainty of how to help. He sits beside me and puts an arm around me like Soda did last night. 

"It'll be alright. I'm sure he'll be okay," he says. 

"What if he dies?" 

"Then we'll all be here for you like we are now."  I sit up from leaning over. He moves his arm away as I crash into the back of the couch. I just need to get over it. He told me to get out in the first place. But if I would've known... 

"Look, not to be rude or nothing, but don't-" 

"Tell anyone," we say at the same time.

"I know. Can't tell your little secrets, Dal." 

"You already know me," he says. I smile and get up. "Well I'll come find Johnny and them later. See you tonight," he says, walking to the door. 

"See ya, Dally. And thanks..." He nods and walks out.  Not much longer after Dally leaves, Darry comes home by himself. He looks beat. Today must've been rough on him. 

"Hey, kaylee.Where's everyone else at?" he asks. I shrug. 

"I don't know. They kinda just went out and about." He nods understandingly. He walks into his room and immediately comes back out. 

"Where are my sheets...?" 

"Oh! They're on the clothesline out back," I answer. "I cleaned the others too." 

"You really didn't have to," he says as he shuts his door. "We could've done them some other time." 

"If I'm gonna be here, I'm gonna help. And you're not about to stop me!" I hear him laugh through the door as he changes and what not. 

Anyway, how was your day?" I ask.  He begins talking about it as I wander to another room. I'm sort of more curious about it now than I've ever been. "It was kind of hot today..." I pick up a picture frame sitting on the vanity top. It's an older photo of a beautiful woman in a white, timeless wedding dress with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. She has a bright and warm smile as it is the happiest day of her life.