27

• Six months later •  

"Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen you!" I say to my teacher. I'm going to start calling her Ms. J since I just figured out her name since it was changed to here. I know it's late to find out but whatever.  

She laughs.

"Yes, I know," she answers as we walk along outside. "How are you with things?"  

"Staying was the best choice I've ever made. You wouldn't believe it."  

"I believe you! You have such a wonderful family with you, kaylee."

"Thanks. They're a handful. Especially Tucker even though he's Dally's."  

"I bet you didn't expect that, did you?" she asks.  

"Are you kidding me?! Who would've known?"  

"I did." ,I laugh.  

"Of course you did. So... What are things like at home?"  

"You were never there! And if you're wondering, you don't have a futuristic twin. I promise." I laugh. "Anyways... You have a beautiful daughter. I can't believe how much she looks like both of you."  

"Thanks! Any news I need to know?"  

"Well... Your mother is okay. She's really in Texas, you know. Oh, and tomorrow, you'll be getting a letter. I think you'll be quite pleased and surprised with its contents. Also, someone will be getting a very interesting phone call soon."  

"What do you mean?" She smiles and hugs me. Then she kisses my cheek.  

"I've grown fond to you, Kaylee. You know I can't tell you though. You'll figure it out, darling."  

                               •••  

I wake up to an empty bed and empty room. I frown and stand up and stretch. I change into some high-waisted shorts and a button up and pull up my hair before I walk into the living room. I'm greeted by everyone sitting around.  

I notice Two-Bit sitting in the floor and staring at the TV with Baby leaning against him. He points to Mickey Mouse on the screen, and she has a fit of giggles. I smile and lean on the doorway.  

"What time is it?" I ask.  

"About nine," Darry says.  

"What are you doing home?"  

"Same reason you are. It's Sunday."  

"Oh... I don't think I got enough sleep or something," I mumble. I sit on the quilt laid out on the floor where Baby was sitting and playing with her toys.  

She's grown up so much now. Baby's sitting up on her own and babbling. We've been trying to get her to say something, but she won't say anything. Her hair is dark and wild too. It's almost unbelievable.  

Two-Bit lets her crawl over to me.

"I think she likes Mickey too, Kaylee," he says. I smile and make her sit up.  

"Can you say 'momma'?" I ask her. She giggles. "You little stinker."  

"She was talking up a storm earlier," Steve says. "She wasn't saying nothing."  

I pick her up and set her in my lap when I sit on the couch by Ponyboy. I bounce her on my knees, and she giggles.  

"Can you say 'daddy'?" he asks her.  

"Da... dee!" she shrieks. I look at him and smile widely.  

"She likes me better," he says. I laugh.