33

The man leaves a uniform, a letter, and a final goodbye with us, and he leaves like nothing's wrong. I turn to Ponyboy in shock. The room seems to be spinning as I throw my arms around him. He holds me tightly.

"B- but Pony, you can't go. What about us? And me? A-and Baby?" I sob violently, grabbing a fistful of his shirt.

"I have to," he says, his voice cracking.

"What am I gonna do without you?"

"I don't know, babe. I don't know." He starts sobbing as well. Other arms wrap around us, and I know everyone's getting in on it.I just can't imagine my life without him. What if he dies? What if he never comes home? What if? What if? What if?

"How come it had to be you?" Soda asks, tears starting to fall down his cheeks.
"Why you?"

"Soda, I'm gonna be okay," Ponyboy says.

Darry shakes his head. His eyes glisten with tears.

"You listen to me. Be safe wherever you're going. We all need you to come home. Okay?"

"I will, Darry."

Darry starts to break down as he pulls Ponyboy into a hug."We can't lose you, little buddy," he whispers. Soda hugs him next. Then all the boys. Steve apologizes for always being so hostile to him. Two-Bit tries to cheer him up. Dallas tells him to be safe. Johnny bawls his eyes out. Johnny and Ponyboy have always been close. Now it's just like losing a best friend...

He comes back to me with tear filled eyes. I shake my head as he takes me into a hug once more. I feel everyone's eyes on us.

"P- please come home," I beg. "If anything else, just... Come home."

"I swear I will. Kaylee, I promise I'll come home. Whatever it takes, I'll come back for you..."

We stay in each other's embrace until we both stop crying. He pulls away and studies my face before kissing me.

"We should probably get to sleep," Darry says. "You'll need it, Pony..."

He nods.

"Goodnight y'all. I'll see you in the morning," Ponyboy says. Everyone says goodnight. He takes my hand and walks upstairs with his uniform in his hands. He sets it on the dresser and kisses me again.

"This can't be happening..." I whisper. "It can't be..."

"I love you," he says quietly in my ear. I put my head against his chest as his arms gently hold my waist. We sway back and forth even though there's no music on. We're kinda dancing to our own song only we hear.

"I want you to know that." He says.

"I do."

"I love hearing you say that," he says with a laugh, I break a weak smile.

"I'm gonna miss you..."

"I'm gonna miss you too."

"I can't imagine this," I say, looking up at him.

"Then don't." He leans down and kisses me softly again. He pulls away and kisses my forehead. I put my ear to his chest again and hear his heartbeat, and I know that in three months, I'll hear that sound again.

"I love you..." he whispers again before gently putting his lips to my neck. I feel hot tears sliding down my cheeks as my eyes remain closed. My heart beats harder in my chest.I silently hope to myself this isn't the last time I'll ever hear that...

                               •••

I straighten the collar on Ponyboy's uniform. He looks so handsome in it, but I hate that he's even wearing it. We helped him pack his suitcase earlier this morning. We all got up bright and early for breakfast. We had to see him off at nine.