Chapter 2

Standing before a row of gurgling bottles, beakers and tubes in the chemistry lab, Lyle peeled off the top piece of bread from Randy's sandwich. He shuddered at the disgusting sight, and the reeking contents made him cringe.

But Pandora was fascinated by it all, watching with intense curiosity. The gooier and smellier the better, as far as she was concerned. It just made analyzing the sandwich that much more fun!

Lyle scooped up a spoonful of muck and dropped it into one of the beakers. It bubbled and smoked like a witch's cauldron. "Experiment commenced at 12:16 PM," Lyle said as Pandora took notes. He looked up at her. "Are you sure Randy didn't see you?"

Pandora huffed. "Of course not. We've got nothing to worry about."

Meanwhile, back in the cafeteria: "WHO TOOK MY SANDWICH?!!" bellowed Randy again. Everybody in the room was terrified and silent. Then, simultaneously, each student pointed to the person sitting next to them.

Randy wasn't happy. Then he looked to his right and noticed that the goop from his sandwich left drippings across the table... right up to where Pandora was sitting. Randy's eyes slowly lit up as he started to remember. "AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! That girl! Where is that GIRL?!"

Lexy smiled slyly as she realized what was going on. She turned to Randy. "You mean Pandora Little? I think she went that way." Lexy gestured to the exit. Randy stormed out of the room, the floor shaking with each step.

Lexy was very pleased with this turn of events. She was not a fan of Pandora.

Back in the lab, Pandora and Lyle watched the bubbling liquid make its way through the bottles and tubes.

"I can't believe it!" Pandora exclaimed. "In just a few seconds, we're going to find out the secret ingredients in Randy Cornbluth's sandwich!"

Just then, the room started to shudder. It started small, but then the shudders got stronger, even rattling Lyle's glass chemistry apparatus.

"Uh... did you feel that?" asked Lyle nervously.

But Pandora was laser-focused on the chemicals gurgling through the tubes. Finally, they dripped out the far end into an odd-looking device with a speaker attached. It hummed and beeped.

"Almost there!" Pandora enthused. "Lyle, your Food Anala-tron is amazing. You're a genius!"

WHAM! The door slammed open. It was Randy.

"Make that ex-genius!" said Lyle, gulping with fear.

Then the Food Anala-tron spoke in a female computer voice: "Anchovies... beef jerky... fried pork rinds... pickled eggs... alfalfa sprouts."

"Alfalfa sprouts??" Pandora wondered.

Randy spotted Pandora and stormed into the room. "You took my sandwich!!" He rubbed his tight fist in anger.

Pandora finally realized it was time to be afraid. She stumbled back. "Wait! You wouldn't hit a girl, would you?!"

Randy stopped. He thought about it. Then he turned to Lyle.

Lyle's face went white as Randy wound up to take a swing...