Chapter Nine

Kiwihad been missing for three days. Holly, her friends and her parents hadsearched all over, but there was no sign. It was as if the dog had vanished offthe face of the earth. Holly had not slept since the day Kiwi went missing, butshe was happy that the Lucy nightmares had stayed away, she did not want todeal with them on top of looking for KiwiAfter yet another unsuccessful day of searching and asking around, Holly decided to go and have one last look around the beach and the old boats to make sure Kiwi was not there. She grabbed her black parka and battered Dr Martens, then headed down to the harbour. She knew Kiwi enjoyed the beach and loved exploring, she was hoping that she would soon find a sign that Kiwi had been there.

Holly usually enjoyed the short walk to the harbour but this evening she had a feeling that she was being watched. She looked around but could not see anyone out of the ordinary there. She saw the usual joggers and dog walkers but nobody else. She had this nagging feeling that she should go and look around the lighthouse. She tried to fight it but after spending nearly thirty minutes looking around the harbour, she walked in the direction of the lighthouse.

It was when Holly was walking along the sea front path that joined the tourist beach with the dog beach, she saw him. A tall, stocky figure with long hair, just like the man that Lucy had seen and had shown her in her dream. He also resembled the man that had been in Holly's bedroom the other night. He had his face covered so Holly could not make out any facial features. She changed her direction but when she turned around he had disappeared. Thinking it was her imagination playing tricks on her again, she continued her journey towards the lighthouse.

As Holly got closer, he was there again. Waiting. Holly became drawn to him. It was though he had cast a spell on her. She was curious as to who or what this figure was. She followed him but when he turned and saw Holly approaching he disappeared into the lighthouse. She ran towards the small door, but before she got there she tripped over an uprooted branch, like the branch that had tripped Lucy up all the years ago. She looked ahead of her and saw a red dog lead. Holly got up and picked up the lead. It was Kiwis. She recognised it instantly.

"KIWI, KIWI" Holly shouted, but there was no sign of the dog and no sound. The place had become eerily quiet.

Holly tried to open the door but it was nailed shut. She decided to walk around the lighthouse and peered over the cliff edge. There was no other sign that Kiwi had or was indeed there. The quietness was soon broken by the wind and the waves. There was then a sharp icy breeze that stung her face.

"Holly help me", whispered a voice of a young girl

Holly looked around but there was no one there.

"Hello", she said

"Help me" said the voice again

Holly looked around again but there was still no one there. The wind was quickly turning into a gale and the sea was becoming choppier. There was a sudden clash of lightning followed by a rumble of thunder. The rain began to pour down.

"Holly you are losing it, it was the wind", Holly said to herself, she zipped her parka up to the top and put her hood up, feeling slightly defeated she went home with Kiwi's lead wrapped around her hand.