Chapter 3: Wake Up Call

By the time Dorthey returned to her suite, it was all she could do just to walk over to the bed, only to fall face first into the freshly fluffed pillows.

Sam, Sully, and herself had talked in the restaurant about the Romanov treasure, as well as her various leads and theories, for so long that the manager had to come over and tell them they were closing. All the while, she was surprised to find that Sam Drake had actually paid attention to everything she said, even showing general interest at times.

Based on their initial conversation, Dorthey thought his doubts about the survival or Anastasia and Alexi Romanov would persist throughout their entire time together as business partners. Perhaps she had managed to convince him otherwise.

Dorthey shifted her position to get a better look at the clock on her nightstand. She groaned reading the time 1:05 AM. Despite that fact she had zero sleep from her last flight, Sully had said he would fly the three of them out of Rio at 9 AM, taking them back to Russia, back to Dorthey's lead.

Sitting up, Dorthey removed her shoes and pants, before curling up under the covers. Jetlagged or not, Dorthey often had trouble falling asleep, especially in the last year. Maybe it was the stress of remembering all her grandfather's research, or perhaps it was the added difficultly of rebuilding his research with the limited access she had to her Grandfather's study, as it was located in her family home, which just so happened to include the ice queen herself, Dorthey's mother, Tatiana.

Dorthey rolled over, as if she could move away from the thoughts of her mother. It had been months since she last spoke to her, two years since she had last seen her in person, and even that meeting had been a brief and cold one. At the time, Dorthey had just been happy her grandmother hadn't been present.

Dorthey sighed; she couldn't bare to even think of the widow, Deziree Zara. If her mother was the one to always rain on her parade, Dorthey's grandmother was a raging hurricane.

Dorthey groan again, rubbing her eyes and glanced at the clock. In dimly lit, red numbers, the time read 1:12 AM. At this rate, Dorthey didn't know if she could accomplish a simple hour or two of sleep.

But somehow, at some unspecified time later, Dorthey eyes shut, her mind free of her family, and fell into a dreamless sleep.

**********************************

"Hey, time to get up."

Dorthey's eyes cracked open, the bright sunshine greeted her as it shined through the window of her hotel suite. Dorthey shut her eyes, smiling to herself. For the first time in a long time, she had managed to gain a night's worth of sleep. But her moment of glory was short lived.

Feeling a hand on her shoulder, Dorthey's eyes shot open, and her body reacted on its own. Twisting around, she grabbed the wrist of the intruder, griping it painfully as she flipped herself up, and on top of the intruder, her other hand around their throat and her knees holding down their legs.

It was at that moment she realized her intruder was none other than one Sam Drake.

"Sam?" Dorthey said in disbelief.

"Hey, there." Sam managed, his voice strained under the pressure of her grip on his vocal cords.

Immediately, Dorthey removed her grip on his wrist and neck, "What the hell are you doing here? How did you even get in my room?"

Dorthey watched Sam carefully as he leaned up on his elbows, his eyes looking around the room, "So this is what the private suite looks like."

"Sam." Dorthey warned, her voice growing tight.