The Wrong One

Here's one requested by losttoinsanity . I love the idea, so I hope you like it!

*****

"You're a real slinthead, Tommy."

Newt's angry voice makes me freeze in my tracks. I'd never heard my best friend so angry before... especially not at my boyfriend. I place my hand on the homestead door, ready to enter and investigate their argument, but Newt's voice stops me again.

"Do you really think this is bloody fair on her?"

Her? Considering Teresa and I are the only girls in the glade... this could only be about one of us. Curiosity glues me beside the door, listening intently into their increasingly heated conversation.

"Of course it isn't fair on her, but I don't shucking care. This place isn't fair on anyone... I'll do what I need to survive." My boyfriend's voice, Thomas, comes in reply, sounding just as mad as Newt's.

"Survive!?" Newt practically screams at him, making me jump. "No. Working together is surviving... Not whatever you're doing."

When Thomas doesn't reply, Newt keeps talking.

"She's your bloody girlfriend, Tommy."

So they are talking about me. But what?

"Why do you care so much Newt? Just because you want everyone to work together and follow the rules and blah blah blah... Doesn't mean I can't satisfy myself in the downtime." I can almost hear the smirk on Thomas's face.

Satisfy himself? My own face contorts in disgust. I didn't realize Thomas talked so openly about our sex life... It's kind of uncomfortable, especially to my best friend.

"I care because she bloody deserves more than this!" Newt spits at Thomas.

"Deserves more? You can't be serious, Newt. I'm a runner. I'm a leader. I'm all she could want, especially in bed." Thomas pauses his cocky rant, before gasping. "Oh! But you are serious Newt! You're just jealous that I can get all the girls in the glade and you can't get any."

Teresa?

"Jealous of you? No. You're jacked, Tommy. You're ruining something special. You're ruining her."

"Something special? Her?" Thomas laughs, and my heart aches. "I get you've had eyes for her since she got here, but you missed your chance. She's my girlfriend now."

"Then shucking treat her like it!" Newt screams, making me jump. "You can't love them both Tommy."

"Who said anything about love? They're toys, Newt. And now I have two."

"Y/N isn't a toy, you shank."

"Yeah. That's what she thinks." Thomas scoffs, and my heart crumbles. "But she is. She was the first girl here, and I needed the release. And now Teresa's here, so I can swap around."

My heart sinks, and I have to cover my mouth to muffle the groan that falls from it. I don't know why I keep listening, but I can't seem to leave. 

"But Teresa knows about you and Y/N, why would she..."

"Why would she fuck me? Well, the thing about Teresa is that she understands that, in a place like this, there's no time for emotions. It's not my fault Y/N's too shucking stupid to see that!"

Stupid? I hadn't realized, but as I take my hand away from my mouth I find my face is soaked by silent tears. I hear a loud grunt inside the room, and the sound of something hitting the ground.