Awkward...

You watch the ocean, listening to the calming sound of the waves rhythmically swathe the sand. You lay on the beach, away from the ongoing commotion of the safe haven. Having just arrived, there was always some kind of construction going on, so you took every chance you could to disappear. Today, your best friend Newt had come with you to sit further down on the beach, just enjoying each others' company. He sat, splayed out comfortably on the sand while you lay beside him, your head in his lap. Watching the movement of the ocean only made you feel smaller, plaguing your mind with images of everything you've been through. You didn't need to speak a word to Newt, because you know he's taking it hard too. Mutually, you sit in comfortable silence in one another's company.

It seems almost fake, the tranquility after everything you've experienced. Only two months ago you and your friends had finally escaped the seemingly endless torment of WICKED's trials. That cat-and-mouse game was all you knew, and for the first time you are safe with all your friends.

The best thing about it all is that you are finally with Newt. With everything you and the other gladers went through, the most terrifying was the reality of Newt's progressing insanity. He was your best friend in the glade, and has been ever since. You were inseparable, and when he announced he was a crank you almost gave up on everything. That was, until you noticed how Brenda had reacted to Thomas's blood. You'd seen Teresa take a sample back to WICKED to test it, and she'd given you a vial just in case. You two had always shared a special bond, as the only two girls in the glade. She was the person you turned to when you couldn't go to Newt, and you were almost as close to her as you were to him. Until...

The memory hits you hard, almost bringing tears to your eyes. You release a huge sigh, shifting uncomfortably in Newt's lap, and immediately feel his gentle hand run comfortingly through your hair. You feel yourself relax, your tense shoulders dropping at his caring touch. He always knows when something's bothering you, and knows exactly what to do about it. You guess it's because how close you are... You were always together. He's like your brother, only... Only you wished he wasn't. You shift uncomfortably at the thought of it, feeling Newt's fingers twirl through your hair in response.

The problem with Newt is that he is too perfect. You know him so well, especially after all the trials and situations you were thrown into, and you love everything. Everything he does just makes you adore him even more, falling inevitably into the trap of liking your best friend. Unfortunately, to seek out a relationship now seems ridiculous. You'd fought grievers, flown bergs... even killed cranks. You'd lost so much over the years, through all of this. So many of your friends had died just to get you here: and now you were thinking about something which seemed so insignificant. After everything, a romance seems unreachable, and no doubt Newt only sees you as a sister. You can't try anything now, it would just seem weird. You don't want to wreck your friendship, the only thing that had gotten you through all of this.

Once again, you wriggle in his lap. If only you were normal, then something so mundane as love wouldn't be out of your reach.

"Stop doing that!" Newt groans suddenly, breaking the silence and interrupting your train of thought.

You frown. Stop doing what? Did you say something out loud? Did he hear you wondering about your feelings? He couldn't have... Shaking off your unreasonable fear, you smirk. Newt is your best friend, and therefore it's basically your job to tease him. And now he's made the biggest mistake to admit some kind of weakness to you, you're of course going to mess with him.

"What?" You grin playfully, turning your head to look up at the blonde, only to see him grimace and look up the sky.

"Seriously y/n! Stop it!" He mumbles.

Only now do you realise that he wants you to stop moving your head around. Of course, you wouldn't let Newt get out of it that easily.

"Stop what?" You wriggle your head around in his lap.