01 - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning

Assassin's Creed: Chronos

Retribution

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act I

Aporia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 1, 1500

Monteriggioni, Italy

Catherine regarded the woman across from her carefully, mulling over their conversation thus far. She was a redhead like herself, although her hair was tied back in a regal bun, whereas Catherine preferred hers pulled back with a ribbon in a loose ponytail. The woman wore equally regal attire, clad in extravagant dark purples and maroon-like reds accented with white and decorated in lighter designs fitting noble women. She held herself highly in her chair; back held straight and head tilted just slightly while a neutral smile remained etched on her features. To the inexperienced she seemed welcoming and innocent, but Catherine knew her very well. The woman before her was a tactician. Her mind worked quick in all things—even battle, be it with swords or with words as they did now. Although, Catherine supposed it wasn't fair to call their conversation a battle, yet she couldn't help thinking so.

Caterina Sforza was a woman to be reckoned with, after all—revered with both awe and fear.

But this was a discussion of an alliance; one that would prove fruitful for both their cities. Forli was a powerful location to have. Already they had proven stalwart against their enemies time and time again, and Caterina herself was part of that. Her keen mind gave her the knowledge to defend her home and people, and her indominable will gave her the strength to endure the chaos of it all. It had kept her strong against the Orsi brothers, that was for certain, and Catherine only lamented she had just barely missed seeing it when she returned so long ago. Still, she didn't fail to see it to fathom the depth of the noble woman's strength. Indeed, Caterina would make an invaluable ally—an official one. Oh, she had been on the side of the Assassins before, but not formerly. More-so for debts owed and friendship. Now, though? Now she hoped to affirm it in the eyes of their enemies.

Caterina had not wasted time explaining her troubles: the papal armies were once against marching upon Forli. Despite all her fortitude, she did need help—specifically the mercenaries of Monteriggioni. Technically, the forces were under solely Mario's command, but it was unspoken that the city itself was truly owned and its warriors run by the other Auditore's—herself and her husband specifically. And with her husband and Mario away, that left her, the Lady Auditore, in charge. Catherine would have preferred Ezio to be here to discuss things together, but he was searching for the Vault to prevent Rodrigo from opening it and ending the man once and for all. She lamented it—not being able to be there with him even knowing he faced the Staff, another powerful Piece of Eden—but they had their reasons.

So here she was, sitting in the meeting room of the Villa—formerly Mario's office—with Caterina sitting across from her, waiting for her to reply after making her case. She knew she had the right to make the choice, and Ezio and everyone else trusted her to make the right decision. It was a notion that left her honored and humbled, although she would still prefer them with her. However, Caterina had wished to speak alone, and Catherine had accepted, although she suspected it was a calculated measure—to ensure there would be less opinions to voice opposition. Not that the redhead believed the others would. Niccolo and Mario both introduced Forli as an ally, and Claudia regarded Caterina highly. Indeed, Catherine expected everyone would agree to it. She knew Ezio would think the same, too, and so the Lady Auditore shifted to sit up more properly, meeting Caterina's gaze.