09 - Time Is Running Out

March 20, 1500

Castel Sant'Angelo

Rome, Italy

Cesare Borgia had commanded she have no visitors, and so Catherine expected she would be alone well until the next day of his command. Already she didn't have a maid come clean her chamber pot—which she was using far more than usual now—nor give her any clean sheets, clothes, or warm food. Her stomach was left to groan with want, which she ignored in favor of pulling her knees to her chest as much as her swollen belly would allow. She'd buried her head into them, willing herself to just go back to sleep to forget it all, but it would not come. There were only memories of the day before, and the ache in her arm and throat. She hadn't bothered to look at the mirror to check the bruises—she knew they were bad. She'd preferred to remain pulled into herself instead, willing the day go by faster.

As such, she was surprised when she heard the lock jiggle. She freed her legs and swung them over the side of the bed, refusing to let anyone—even Paula, if it was her—see her in such a state. It was bad enough she had the bruises, but to seem defeated? No. She refused. She wasn't beaten yet. She could still fight them, even if only with defiance, and Ezio wouldn't forgive her if she gave up. Diana wouldn't. Claudia wouldn't. Maria wouldn't. Her child wouldn't. Mario definitely wouldn't. She wouldn't forgive herself. So she steeled her gaze as she waited for the door to open, hoping it was food rather than Cesare again. She wasn't sure she could stand him right now. Or perhaps he could not stand her—it was anyone's guess.

Her stalwart gaze faltered, however, when none of her expectations were met. Of anyone to pass through the door, she had not thought it would ever be Lucrezia Borgia. Even the guard looked a little surprised as the woman stood there in the doorway, eyes leering at the redhead. She wore a red, gold-accented, pompous, and even gaudy dress, the top just barely containing her breasts. Her hair was pulled back as opposed to down this time, restrained by a fancy hairnet. She had the ridiculous collar, though, and wore a necklace wielding a large cross that settled conveniently in the crevice of her bosom. She stood with one hip jutted out slightly, and her mouth twisted down in what was probably the accepted form of a frown for a lady of the highest nobility.

"Leave us," she told the guard, whom hesitated. She turned a fierce eye on him, "Now, guard! Or need I remind you what happens when you defy the Borgia?"

The man did not need to be told again; he made haste to slam the wooden door shut, though did not lock it. That done, Lucrezia made a huff-like sound before regarding Catherine once more. The redhead couldn't help—for all the glaring the woman could do—considering her to not be much of a threat. She wasn't necessarily a push over, but the redhead had a feeling her bark was worse than her bite—at least compared to her brother.

"Well? What did Cesare talk about, mm? I see he had plenty of fun," she sneered, eyes flicking to the bruises on the redhead's neck.

"You and I have very different definitions of 'fun'," Catherine snorted.

Lucrezia stepped closer, "Answer the question."

The redhead rolled her eyes, "About what he wants with me? Seriously? Are you that concerned about what he does? Pretty sure it's no business of a lady what he does."

"Be silent. Was that all he spoke of?"

"Oh dear, jealous of the attention I got?" she spat back, lifting her neck some. "Guess you must like it rough, or does he use his fingers elsewhere on you, mm?"

It wasn't meant to be a literal jab at the woman, but Lucrezia's reaction was far too genuine for Catherine to not raise a brow. She also had to raise her arm up to stop the blonde's hand from slapping her across the face. She locked her fingers around her wrist and refused to let go even as the woman tried to wrench her arm free. Venomous fire was in her eyes as she nearly shrieked, though it came out more as a frustrated growl.