04 - The Jungle

January 6, 1500

Rome, Italy

For what it was worth, Roma was actually a very beautiful city.

It was a shame Catherine felt no joy at the sight of it, not even with it being her first visit—at least in this time. She could recall vaguely, from a former life that seemed almost like a dream sometimes, but was oh-so very real, that she had visited this place. Only, the year hadn't been the fifteen-hundred, but rather in the two-thousands. Her company, like-wise, had not been that of the bitch Lucrezia Borgia and her bastard brother's dog, Micheletto, but her mother and her side of the family. An uncle, if she remembered right, and some of her cousins. It had been their first stop on their visit to Europe and ultimately their ancestral family home—the very same that housed the artifact that would bring her here to this time—and the modern-day buildings mixed with the ancient ruins had been a glorious sight to behold. However, it was nothing compared to the true, original splendor of the Italian city. Yet, her first time here had also been far more joyous; surrounded by those who cared about her and wanted to her be amazed by the glory of the city; to fully enjoy a much-needed vacation.

This visit, though, had not even a sliver of joy to it. The city was not a vacation spot for an innocent, American tourist. It was a prison for an Assassin of Italia, and the cage for bait to lure the infamous Ezio Auditore.

A crowd formed to the rear of the carriage and was growing slightly larger as curious citizens wondered who would emerge. No doubt they hoped for the illustrious Cesare or even the Pope, but they seemed equally pleased at the sight of Lucrezia. She held her head high, chest put out just a little more than usual, and smiled proudly. Micheletto remained his dark, brooding self, keeping a firm hand latched around Catherine's arm. Her hands were still bound, although now in front of her. Guards joined them, these one clad in a much more robust armor; thicker, darker, and more elegant. They were also pikemen and a few swordsmen. A bloated regiment, if the redhead did say so herself, but almost flattering, in a way. All of them here, for her; for the show.

"Citizens of Roma—I give you a prize from Monteriggioni, yet another rebel city conquered and put in their place by your beloved Cesare! Yet another step towards a peaceful, united Italia!" the woman sang, and a cheer rang out. Catherine couldn't help hating them, even if it wasn't really their fault. They were just naïve. Ignorant. Complacent in their lush lives here in the city; never conquered by their "beloved" Cesare. At least, not be sword and fire and cannon. No, he and his father and cursed family had done them in with politics and pretty words, and they ate it up.

She envied such innocence.

"Come then, time to take you to your new home. You get the honor of seeing where my new nephew will be staying," the woman smiled, oh so sweetly as she went by. If not for the dog with his fangs to her throat and the guards right on her heels, Catherine would have gladly wrung her neck.

Her new nephew's home? Hah. Like she would let that happen. No, she would find a way to escape. She wouldn't let her child grow up here, in the hands of the enemy.

Which, in some way, was a shame. The place was beautiful. The bridge alone to the massive fortress was made with some of the best architecture she had seen, and she knew Leonardo da Vinci. The stone appeared ancient, but remained in good shape, and perhaps ten to twenty feet apart on either side stood statues of angels, ever vigilant and radiant in the sunlight all along the length of the bridge. She could not help but wonder, though, if they were watching out for her in this moment, or were her wardens, too? Although, it hardly seemed needed with the immenseness of the fortress before them. The intimidation of it alone was enough to dissuade any attackers—or potential escapees. The countless guards positioned by each statue and walking along the main entryway didn't help, either. Certainly, any escape from the tall, foreboding stone walls seemed neigh impossible. Even with a long look Catherine didn't spot any good exits, save to dive from dangerous heights to the murky water below, something she would be hard pressed to risk if she was kept here too long. Not to mention she'd have to swim all the way to the other side of the bridge with the walls around the moat looking too difficult to scale.