08 - Look What You Made Me Do

March 19, 1500

Castel Sant'Angelo

Rome, Italy

Catherine held the broom out in front of her, feet set apart just so; enough to keep her balance, but in a such a way she could move any which way. She grasped with both hands, eyes set ahead. She breathed in deeply, and then pounced; slicing up and then in a wide swing with one arm, the other held out for balance. She bent a knee slightly, and then ducked beneath an invisible sword. She grasped hold with both hands against as she rose back up, swinging her arm up in a high arch. She spun back around to face towards her vanity, broom still set in front of her; ready to strike, but with no need to—the battle had been won.

Clapping followed, and the redhead grinned at the young woman standing by her bed, excitement bright in her eyes. Catherine shifted her grip on the broom and held it out to Paula, whom reclaimed the tool and started to sweep as she had been just a minute earlier.

"That's one swordplay stance and a few moves I was taught back home. There's plenty more to go with it, and you have to adjust for every type of sword or weapon you have. I'd throw in a few rolls, but these stones are pretty hard, and my belly is a little big for it right now," she chuckled, patting at her abdomen, which had begun to swell some as she'd said. Not too much, but enough to make it obvious she was with child. It was both a source of delight and dismay, but it was what it was. At the very least she could still wield a weapon, which was something.

"I can't believe you really know how to use a sword! I don't think I've heard of any women who do!" Paula laughed before suddenly swinging the broom, attempting to copy the motions. Her attempt was poor, of course, but she still laughed once more. "It feels so strange! How did you even come to wield a blade?"

Catherine shrugged, "Well, I wasn't really fond of becoming a 'proper' lady. I like to run around and make better use of myself. And, well, fate deemed it that way, I guess you could say. It's a lot more fun than you think. I'd personally recommend more women take it up."

"Oh, no, I couldn't! I'm certainly not made for such things," the young woman giggled as she shuffled dust towards one corner. "Mother would faint if I did! And Lord knows what my Papa might think!"

"Oh, come now. Is it really that disturbing for a young woman such as yourself to swing a sword around?" the redhead grinned impishly, settling down on the edge of her bed. She played with the heel of her slipper as Paula turned to face her, a pout on her olive face.

"I'll have you know, I was raised not to be so... so... uncouth," she huffed, and Catherine clutched at her chest, right over her heart, in mock-pain.

"Ah! I'm so offended! I'll have you know, though, I am hardly uncouth. I prefer 'savage'."

"My Lady, please. You tease too much."

"Paula, you're pretty much my only friend here, I've got to tease you a little," the redhead snickered, pausing only to lift her feet so the maid could clean under there. "That, and I feel bad you have to clean for me. You seem too smart for this kind of work."

"I'm afraid I was not blessed to be an educated lady. My family is not poor, but not noble, either. Other noble ladies such as yourself are educated," she replied, gaze falling some.

"Well, that's silly... you would have like my home. Most any girl could be educated there if she wished it, although most did end up learning home skills, which are just as useful. Most men can't cook or sew to save their life. Hell, I had to learn to sew for Ezio when Annetta—our maid—refused because he got his shirt ripped too much one time."