Three - Talia

Ch3 - Talia

"Please, no!" she begged, just as the back of Steven's hand came down onto her brow. She blinked rapidly, trying to keep the fresh stream of blood from dripping into her eye.

Steven's face flushed with anger. "What were you thinking wearing that dress in public? I never want to see it again. It makes you look like a whore!"

"I'm sorry." She gasped, trying to catch her breath. "I'll get rid of it right away." She tried to step aside and escape to the bedroom, but her husband was having none of it.

"Where do you think you're going?" he snarled, blocking her way.

"I was going to the bedroom to change," she explained, timidly.

But he shook his head, "No. You can remove it right here. Right now."

Looking around their home, she quickly assessed the large, decorative windows scattered throughout. If she removed her dress now and someone happened to walk by - even though it had been his suggestion - she would no doubt be blamed and the punishment would be harsh.

She stared at the floor, unable to meet his penetrating eyes. "But the windows..." her voice trailed off.

"I don't care about the damn windows! Take your dress off. Now."

Swallowing hard, she slowly lifted the soft cotton sundress above her head, smearing blood onto it's material from the gash above her eye. She had recently bought it on one of her rare, unchaperoned shopping trips. The yellow cotton complimented her natural blonde hair and porcelain skin. She'd thought Steven would be pleased with her purchase, but how wrong she had been. Not knowing what to do, she handed him the blood stained garment.

"I don't want it! It's trash - just like you." Transparent hatred painted his face, causing the hair on the back of her neck to stand on end. She nodded her head, letting him know she understood the mistake she had made.

"I should have known better than to get involved with someone like you," he laughed bitterly. "That small, tacky apartment you lived in... I felt sorry for you because you had no one. Your parents were dead, and you played the role of the lonely, little orphan girl perfectly. You sure had me fooled!" An ill-humored grin covered his sinister face. "I married you and brought you into my home and this is how you repay me? By dressing like a slut? You do realize that no one else would put up with your shit the way I do, don't you?" he questioned, throwing the dress toward her. "Go get dressed!"

Clad in her bra and panties, she retrieved the discarded garment then turned and walked quickly toward the bedroom before he changed his mind. She could not stand any more humiliation.

"Are you hungry?" Steven called after her pleasantly.

She stopped dead in her tracks. What did he say? Was he joking? She frowned at his abrupt change in demeanor, wondering if she had heard him correctly.

"Dinner's ready," a kind voice rang out. "Talia, are you in there?"

'Talia?' she questioned, as a cold perspiration took over her body. 'How does he know? I had everything so carefully planned...'

Her heart sank as she tried to catch her quickening breath.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Opening her eyes, she realized she was covered in sweat.

"Talia, dear, are you in there?" the voice asked again.

Mrs. Wilson! Talia sighed in relief. It was just a dream...

"Yes, I'm in here, I was just, um...freshening up a bit," she lied. "I'll be down in a minute. Thank you, Mrs. Wilson."

"Alright, dear. Come and get it while it's hot."

"Yes, ma'am."

Climbing out of bed, Talia glanced in the vanity mirror. Her shoulder length brown hair was a tangled disaster. Taking her brush, she quickly ran it though the mess, hoping to make it somewhat presentable. She had taken a shower as soon as she'd settled into her room, but it was evident after her nightmare that she would need another.

Taking a cleansing breath, she took in her temporary living quarters. She was quite content with "The Green Room", as Ms. Wilson called it. Green had always felt like an especially calm and pleasing color, and she could use a little peace in her life right about now.

Talia had unpacked her meager amount of belongings before laying down for a nap and realized her father's antique compass was no longer in her backpack. Disappointment washed over her as she wondered where it could be. It must have fallen out of her bag somewhere during her trip, but where? It had been one of only two reminders she'd brought with her of her parents, the other being a picture taken several years ago of the three of them vacationing. It had always been her favorite.

Looking back into the mirror, she observed a small scar above her eyebrow. How long will I have to endure these dreams, she wondered bitterly. She had finally escaped the living nightmare, only to be plagued by ones that interrupted her sleep.

Giving her hair one last brush, she straightened her sundress - a purchase she had made somewhere around Louisiana - and made her way downstairs and into the dining room.

"Well, there you are," Ms. Wilson greeted her, smiling.

"Can I help you with anything?" Talia asked politely.

"No thank you, dear, I've got it all taken care of. Why don't you have a seat? We have others joining us tonight."

Talia waited patiently until the last of the dishes were placed on the large, oak dinner table. Slowly, the other B&B guests made their way into the dining room.

Ms. Wilson began the introductions so her guests could get acquainted, then everyone dove in to the delicious-smelling meal. Talia heaped her plate full of turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberries and a large, buttery roll. It was quite a feast, and Talia wondered if she had ever tasted anything so good.  It was unusual for her to indulge in so many fattening foods.

She was devouring her cranberries when the front door suddenly opened and another visitor entered. He was a tall, handsome man in his late twenties, about the same age as Talia. He had sun kissed brown hair and warm eyes, the color of dark chocolate. They harbored the same kindness, Talia observed, as her hostess. He smiled tenderly when he caught sight of Ms. Wilson.

"Charlie, I didn't know you were stopping by! I would have fixed you a plate," Ms. Wilson said, smiling at the man. "Everyone," she announced, turning toward her guests. "I would like to introduce you to my son, Charlie."

Charlie smiled and slowly surveyed the full room. His eyes landed on Talia.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thank you for reading The Secret! I hope you will kindly leave me a vote or comment if you are enjoying it!

This chapter is dedicated to @MichaelLimjoco, for sharing his wealth of Wattpad knowledge! You can check out his work - and you should - by clicking on his profile at the top of the page near his dedication. :)