Seven - Sarah

Ch7 - Sarah 

Steven had come home from work that evening in a foul mood. The mental abuse began immediately, making Sarah especially nervous. She hated feeling like she had to walk on eggshells around him. She remained silent, and obediently followed all of his rules.

1.) The house was in pristine condition, not a single artifact out of place.

2.) Dinner was prepared and ready by 6:00 pm.

3.) The kitchen was cleaned and dessert provided by 7:00 pm.

4.) The mail was waiting for him in orderly stacks, separated by bills, work invoices and miscellaneous.

5.) The towel to shower lay folded on his side of the bed, along with his pajamas for the evening.

By anyone else's standards, the house was immaculate, but not by Steven's. He had found several small things to complain about, no matter her hard work.

"I'm taking the garbage out," he stated gruffly, leaving her alone in their beautiful 4,500 square foot home.

Often times, her mind wandered to the beginning of their marriage, when Steven had seemed so conscientious of her and her feelings. How could she have been so mislead? She knew losing her parents the way she had left her feeling broken and lonely, but desperate, too? Had there been warning signs that she had ignored in her frantic attempt to feel loved and protected? It made her sick to her stomach knowing how weak she had become.

Peeking out the window, she saw Steven chatting with the neighbor at the curb side. She could see the tension in his shoulders, yet his face wore an easy going smile. Sarah was certain their neighbor would not be able to detect Steven's agitation. He was a very good actor.

She busied herself in the kitchen, cleaning again what she had already cleaned, and putting the remainder of dinner dishes away. She had not heard him reenter the house.

"So," Steven's voice fermented from behind her. "I ran into the neighbor out front."

Sarah turned to face him and saw the unrest covering his face. Her heart sank into her stomach as she waited for him to speak, already knowing what he was going to say.

"He wondered if we tried the watermelon he had given you earlier today. He said they were the juiciest in all of Washington State."

Her eyes traveled to the counter top where the freshly sliced fruit sat waiting.

"You never mentioned that you ran into the him, Sarah. Did it just...slip your mind?" he seethed, regarding her through narrowed eyes.

Swallowing hard, she tried to relieve the lump forming in her throat. "I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it, Steven." The voice coming out of her mouth didn't sound like her own.

"You didn't think about it? So, what you're saying is that you forgot?"

Her breath quickened as she shook her head yes.

"What else did you forget to tell me, Sarah? Maybe you slept with him, too. Did you forget to tell me that?" Steven demanded, stepping a little closer with every word.

Shaking her head, she moved backward until her back pressed against the kitchen counter.

Lunging forward, he grabbed her face in both hands. "Do you like it when he talks to you, baby? Does it turn you on? Do you let him kiss you, too, when I'm not around? Do you let him touch you with his filthy lips?"