Thirty Five - Talia

Ch35 - Talia

"I'm so sorry, Talia, but I have to go," Charlie said when he reentered the room. She noticed he looked a little pale and wondered if everything was alright. Had it been Mrs. Wilson on the phone? Was there a problem?

"Of course, Charlie, I understand. Is everything okay?" she asked timidly, hoping his mother was not in any trouble.

Charlie looked slightly dazed as he answered her. "No, it's not okay. I have to leave town. Right away," he said, pushing his hand through his hair, flustered.

Leave town? Talia was confused. If he had to leave town then it couldn't possibly be because of Mrs. Wilson. She must be alright. But he was so agitated! Talia knew something was very wrong, she had never seen him act this unsettled before.

She followed him out onto the front porch. "Charlie," she began, "You're scaring me."

Charlie turned and looked Talia in the eye for the first time since he had gotten off of the phone, and his tense gaze softened. "I'm sorry," he said again, shaking his head. "It's Emily's father. He's had a heart attack," he explained. "I am so sorry to leave you like this, especially after..." his voice trailed off, apologetically.

After our kiss? she thought to herself.

"It's alright, Charlie," she said, shaking her head. "You have to go. Emily's family need you."

Charlie cocked his head to the side and studied her for a moment. Gently, he lifted his hand to her cheek and she let herself lean into him. She had no idea how amazing such a delicate gesture could feel. Talia closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment, knowing it would be brief. When she looked again at Charlie, she felt her heart melt. Is it really possible that one man could be so nice? How he treated his mother, and how he treated her, made Talia think it might be. And now this! He's rushing to the side of his late wife's family in their hour of need. He was too good to be true.

"Are you sure?" he asked, his eyes full of concern.

"Absolutely. I would never ask you to stay if there was someone out there who needed you. Really," she reassured with a nod. "I insist."

Charlie looked as if he were about to say something more, but then held back. Would there ever be a time when both of them felt comfortable enough to speak about what was on their mind to one another?

"Would you like to walk with me back to my place?" he asked. "I feel really bad for leaving you like this, but I need to pack and get going."

She nodded her head and boldly reached for his hand. "Yes, of course I'll walk back with you. And please, there's no need to apologize."

He gave her a grateful smile and squeezed her fingers, making her heart flutter.

They turned and began walking to his house in silence.

"Do you have any idea how long you'll be gone for?" she finally asked, and he shook his head.

"I'm not sure. At least a couple of days, I imagine. I have so much work to do here, plus Winston..."

"I'll watch him for you," Talia offered. She had gotten so used to having Charlie next door that she hated to think of him not being there. Her anxiety started to increase just imaging herself all alone, with no one nearby.

"I couldn't ask you to do that," he said, hesitantly.

"No, Charlie, I don't mind. I want to."

"Well, he's really not that much work..." his voice trailed off. "I guess if you really want to. Thank you, Talia, I appreciate your help."

She nodded her head but kept her mouth closed. She didn't want to admit that having Winston as company would be helping her out, too.

They climbed the steps to his porch and Winston met them at the door, wagging his tail happily as they walked in.

Charlie seemed distracted as he began to gather his belongings for the trip and Talia watched him nervously, not knowing what to say. She sat down on the couch and busied herself with petting Winston, trying to ease her discomfort. A knot was beginning to form in the pit of her stomach, making her feel ill-at-ease. Talia felt she had developed almost a sixth sense when it came to intuition, and the thought of Charlie leaving town worried her more than she cared to admit. It was hard to put her finger on what exactly was bothering her. Was it the fact that Emily's father was sick or that Charlie had to travel a great distance to get there? Or could it be for more selfish reasons, like she didn't want to be left alone? Talia shook her head, refusing to believe she was making Charlie's distress about herself. She took a deep breath, trying hard to brush the negativity away, but it was no use. Something just was not sitting right with her.

"I can gather some food and toys for Winston to take back to your house, if you'd like," Charlie suggested, interrupting her thoughts.

"That's okay, you're in a rush. I can gather them myself so you can take off."

Charlie walked up to her, regarding her intensely. "You're certain you don't mind taking care of him?"

Talia gave him a smile, noticing how her stomach flip flopped every time he was that close to her. "It would be my pleasure."

Charlie stared at her for a moment longer before clearing his throat. "I'm going to give you my key," he said, retrieving his keys from his pocket and removing one from the ring. "That way you can do whatever you like. You can feed him here if it makes things easier on you."

"We'll figure it out, Charlie, don't worry," she said as he handed the key over to her. "You'd better get going. It's a long drive to Atlanta."

Charlie gave her a small smile before leaning in closely and resting his forehead against hers, placing his fingers on her hips. Talia's breath immediately caught in her throat and she found herself struggling for air. What was it about this man that made her all wishy-washy? She could feel herself grow dizzy just by having him near. She swallowed hard and waited for him to speak.

Bringing his hand up close, he gently brushed the hair away from her face and behind her ear, an expression she found electrifying. Did he realize how crazy she was about him? She had tried so hard to fight it but could feel herself weakening with each passing day. Talia wanted more than anything to be able to give in and allow herself to be swept away by Charlie's charms, but it was so difficult. It was even more difficult to resist.

Without saying a word, she quietly lifted her lips to meet Charlie's for a slow, breathtaking embrace. She was so tired of fighting. Fighting Steven, fighting her nightmares, fighting Charlie. She didn't have the energy to do it anymore.

Charlie responded to her kiss, slowly at first and then more urgently. His hands gripped the back of her hair as he brought her in closer, pressing his body against hers. Talia let her fingers rest against his stomach, but soon found them traveling upward to his chest, searching the toned muscles underneath his shirt. Finally, her hands gathered around his neck as she permitted herself to live in the moment, forgetting about her past and the secrets she was running from.

Charlie was her present. And very possibly, her future.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear readers, if I have entertained you in the slightest with story, I ask for your help right now. My story Strawberry Wine, that is set to be published through Kensington Publishing and is up for preorder on Amazon! Will you please help support me? 

https://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Wine-Darly-Jamison/dp/1420141643

Yay—she's actually admitting Charlie might be her future! Do you think it's a good idea that Charlie go to Atlanta, or will his memories of Emily come flooding back, making him realize he's not ready to move on?

Thank you so much for joining me every week as I update The Secret! Please visit again every Tuesday and Friday for another chapter!

If you are enjoying this story, please remember to leave me a vote/comment. I really appreciate how supportive you all have been! Thank you. :) xo