Forty Two - Talia

Ch42 - Talia

Talia stretched her muscles as she laid in bed, letting the sheets fall away from her in the process. There were plenty of reasons why she was enjoying Southern Florida and one of them was the intense, humid heat. Turning toward the open window, she closed her eyes as the soft morning breeze made it's way inside her room. Seattle's heat was humid, too, only the temperature rarely spiked over the mid eighties. In fact, you were lucky if it made it into the eighties at all! She had always been fond of warmer weather, having spent many vacations during her childhood in the southwest.

She let her hand fall off the side of the bed and nearly jumped when she felt something furry nuzzle up against it. "Winston!" Talia laughed. She'd forgotten the dog was in her room.

Brushing her nose up to his she said, "I slept so good last night, Winston. No nightmares. Maybe it's because I feel so safe with you around," she crooned, caressing his soft, pale coat. "Do you need to go outside?" Winston's ears perked up with interest, recognizing the question.

"Alright," she chuckled, "I'm getting up." Talia slipped out from under the covers and stood up, reaching for her robe. She put it on and walked out of the room, Winston following in close pursuit.

When they made their way into the kitchen, Talia turned on the coffee maker, and let Winston out the back door. "Charlie promised you would stick around the yard, so don't wonder off too far," she warned the Labrador before shutting the door. "As soon as my coffee is ready I'll join you."

Winston stood on the deck, staring at her before turning toward the stairs and walking into the yard. Talia watched him from the screen door, marveling at his intelligence. Owning a dog of her own was definitely something on her bucket list, especially after having Winston as a house guest. She could not get over the feeling of security he provided, it had been a long time since she had felt this safe. It was nice having Charlie next door, too, but nothing could compare to having a trained hunting dog with an excellent sense of hearing, sleeping next to your bed.

After watching him gallop around the yard for a few minutes, she turned toward the counter and shut off the coffee maker, pouring herself a cup. Talia smiled and inhaled deeply as the steam released a rich hazelnut scent. It was so nice to revel in the small things, things she hadn't been able to appreciate for a very long time. Three long years she had waited to savor a cup of coffee, and now that she was free to do as she pleased, it didn't take long to form a caffeine habit. But who didn't enjoy a fresh cup of joe every morning?

Steven, that's who.

Talia shook her head as she thought of her husband. Correction, her former husband. Even though she hadn't been allowed to divorce him properly, she no longer considered herself married anymore, not to that monster. That part of her life was over now, thank goodness, and a new part was just beginning.

She took her mug and opened the back door, stepping out onto the wooden deck. It was still hard for her to believe that she lived there, on the beautiful piece of property surrounded by the marshland. Charlie had done an amazing job refurbishing the old house and the landscape was tastefully manicured. She loved spending time outdoors, wandering around the yard. Talia sat on the cushioned outdoor couch and took in her view. The tall trees, swaying in the wind, and the neatly trimmed bushes that decorated the perimeter of the house were picture perfect. She almost had to pinch herself to believe it was true! And Charlie had been the one who'd made it all happen. He had made living there affordable for her, and without knowing, he'd saved her life. Talia truly believed that. Not many people would have given her a beautiful home to live in and a job to work at without so much as one reference. But the Wilson's had, and they had done so without any hesitation. She would be forever grateful for their trust in her.