Chapter 1

The sun had never felt so bright, in the summer the garden was filled with wild flowers that shined so bright like a butterfly impatient to spread its wings. Jade smiled wistfully and caressed the flowers as she walked, the garden was her special place, although it was at the back of the house and she was sure the occupant had no idea it existed, she loved it just that way because the quiet air and stillness allowed to transcend her thoughts and meditate. Atlas, the peace was worth it after long hours of work.

''Jade, we need your help'', said Lillian. She had been the house-keeper for as long as Jade could remember, the woman of age fifty had been the other mother figure in her life.

''Yes I'm coming'', said Jade as she scrambled up and jogged lightly over to Lillian. From the look on her face Jade knew she would not like it. ''Yes, what is it Lillian?''

''Your mother and father want to speak with you'', she said with a grimace on her face. Jade nodded and kissed her cheek. She knew what was coming and prepared herself mentally for it. When she reached the brown oak door to the study, it was slightly opened so she walked in and stood close to the door poised for flight. Her father in his late sixties was still a fine respectable man; a father of one boy and two girls but didn't look it. He sat on his chair behind the huge mahogany desk that was always stacked with files and smelled of old books and dust. His wife, Margaret was standing beside him with a smug smile on her face that often made Jade think of violent things.

Despite Margaret's stoic face, she was an epitome of beauty and so were her two daughters. Born and bred with high class etiquette and grace, Laura and Jasmine never lacked in the men department and the same went for their brother David. ''Jade the reason we asked to see you is concerning the guests we are expecting next week and we do not want them to know certain things'', Daniel said, he was beating around the bush and Jade knew this.

However Margaret went in for the kill, ''Some very rich and affluent friends are coming and if it all goes well, Jasmine and Laura will be married to the eligible brothers. Now we do not want them to know there is an illegitimate daughter in the family'', she said with distaste.

Jade froze, the pain went straight to her heart. She looked at her father but he said nothing, unbelief evident on her face before she masked it and cleared her throat. "Okay I won't say a word and I'll make sure to stay in the background''.

''Good, see that you do, besides no one would believe you if you told them, you barely look like your father and for all I know you may not even be his child, anyway that is in the past'', Margaret said as she filed her nails, unaware that Jade had gone cold with shock. ''Is there anything else?'' asked Jade softly.

''Yes, we can't have people thinking or questioning why we have a young educated girl working here without ties to anyone for risk of scandal, so we have decided that you will be my sister's daughter who is staying with us".

''But I couldn't do that!'' exclaimed Jade. Margaret stepped forward with a scowl on her face. ''Listen here, we don't want you any related to this family than you already are, so take what you get, suck it up or live on the street''. Jade had never felt so disappointed, almost like a dirty secret, she nodded slowly and fled the room.

Lillian was waiting in the kitchen with open arms to which Jade ran into and wept bitterly. ''It's okay, you have to endure it because they are paying for your masters degree and once that is done, you can leave and make a better life for yourself'', said Lillian as she wiped Jade's tears and kissed her hair. Jade, even in her bitter state marvelled at how at her age of twenty-three Lillian could still make her feel like a little girl.

''Thank you Lillian, so much'', said Jade as she wiped her tears and took a deep breath. They got to work on cleaning and wiping the guest rooms which totalled seven. It was a huge house with enough ornaments to shame a gold mine. Jade always wondered why there was need for so much extravagance. The coming of this 'affluent family' added to her father's expenses or if she were frank, her step-mother's expenses.

The weeks flew by with so much activities around the house; more drapes had to be washed, more groceries had to be bought, the pantry needed to be well stocked and the garden around the house needed to be trimmed. Her step siblings only made matters worse by always being in the news either partying or doing something that can only be described as 'the way of the rich'. She rolled her eyes and continued cleaning Daniel's room when he and his friends stumbled in. You would think that at his age of twenty-nine, he would have let go of his party ways but oh no, they were just getting started.

She quickly left before they could notice her presence and make passes at her as they had done in the past which filled her with revulsion. She always had to be careful around Daniel and his social circle because though they were rich, they are far from gentlemen when it came to women and their feelings. After the long day, she dragged her feet to her room but before she could open her door in the servants' quarters, Jasmine and Laura stopped her.

''Yes, is there something you need?'' asked Jade tiredly.

''Mom told us what your role would be when our guests comes, so please play it to the fullest, scandal is what I don't need and if anyone finds out that you are the dirty secret of the family, scandal is what we will get'', said Laura. They walked back to their room giggling. Jade shook her head and walked into her room, her last thought before she hit the sack was what kind of man could marry Laura and stay happy.

*********************************************************************************************

''Mother I do not have time for this'', declared Marcus Valiant, the first child of Elena and Jacob Valiant. The Valiant family, known as one of the richest and strongest shipping conglomerate family, their heritage goes far back and old in terms of importance and holds in the present times. The Valiant family as sensationalized by the media are as powerful and ruthless as Hitler when it came to the business world, they do not suffer fools gladly and do not take kindly to lying, particularly Marcus the eldest, whereas the second child Alexander follows in his footstep, although let it not be misunderstood that Alexander does not have a mind of his own for the second child although still working for his father, has taken the industry to new height.

Marcus Valiant on the other hand, has three multi-national companies and is a workaholic, his features and build are like honey for every woman's eyes. The strong genes in the Valiant family ensured that the Valiant men never lacked attention from women. Their sister on the other hand, though she possessed the same beautiful gene has a shy and introverted personality which explains her brothers' fierce protection of her. Olivia Valiant the last child lacks the out-going personality of her brothers but she more than makes up for it with her smart mind.

''I assure you Marcus, the Colby family are trusted friends of ours for many years, we only wish to spend sometime with them as a family'', said Elena as she waved her hand dismissively. Marcus pinched his nose in irritation and replied, ''I do not have time for such things'', he was backed up by Alexander.

''Marcus is right mother, besides if they wish to see us then perhaps they should come here''. To that Elena glared at her sons then looked to her husband for help but he winked at her and turned away. ''For god-sake Alexander don't be a snob, they are your friends'', she replied patiently.

''Elena, I see some sense in what he says, besides in all honesty I can't stand the extravagance in the Colby home, no shade intended'', said Jacob as he finally put down the paper. ''At least we can have dinner with them then invite them to spend sometime here, from what I hear, the daughters are beautiful'', said Elena. Marcus looked pointedly at his mother while Alexander pinched his nose, Olivia remained passive.

''Fine, but do not expect me to forgo my engagements'', said Marcus as he left the room, Alexander shrugged and left when his mother looked at him. ''Honestly why can't you all pretend to be as excited as I am!'' exclaimed Elena to which Jacob chuckled and kissed her hands.

''All in good time honey, all in good time'', he said and went back to his reading while his wife scoffed and went back to her embroidery.