Chapter 5

At breakfast the next day Marcus maintained his distance from Jade, the things he felt with her were a warning bell for him to stay away, the worse was that he couldn't stop himself from staring in her direction. Jade on the other hand had been on a high ever since Marcus offered her the job; she knew there was no way Margaret could influence Marcus to take back his offer. Jasmine was clinging to Marcus's arm and whispering into his ears, he smiled and Jade felt a tug in her which came as a shock because she didn't want to have any emotional attachment to him. Last night still played in her mind and looking into his eyes made her feel all warm and fuzzy.

''Jade when is your graduation'', asked Elena. ''Next week Saturday''. ''Well you will have your family there with you'', said Jacob and he watched Jade's expression closely to see if his suspicion will be confirmed. Jade flinched and averted her gaze from Jacob and indeed she had confirmed what he had been thinking all along and it didn't go unnoticed by Marcus and Alexander, though he wasn't entirely sure what was going on in their family, he knew for sure that Jade was not a member of the family they wanted around.

''Of course we will be there to support our Jady'', said David like a brother who was fond of his little sister. Jade wrinkled her nose and Olivia chuckled but Marcus didn't find it funny, he hated the thought that Jade was being maltreated in anyway, he planned on ending this charade of arrangement his parents had with the Colby family and he would take Jade far from all of them. He surprised himself with the intensity of his emotions. After breakfast Jade went to the bank and took out the money she had been saving and bought some groceries for Lillian. When she got to the hospital Lillian was reading a book while Julie sat by the bed texting.

"Jade!! What have I told about spending your money", said Lillian but Jade chuckled and began unloading the provisions. "Lillian it's nothing besides I love taking care of you and Julie you know that'', said Jade with a shrug. ''No it's not, what about your graduation?" she asked "It's is next week Saturday and today is Friday, so there is still time don't worry'', said Jade firmly and put the matter to rest.

''Julie how are you'', asked Jade. ''I'm fine, why do you ask?'' asked Julie alarmed. ''Nothing no reason... You know you can talk to me right?'' asked Jade to which Julie looked away and nodded, Jade sighed and looked at Lillian. ''I have to go but I'll come back, when will you be discharged?'' asked Jade.

"Tomorrow''.

''Good, I'll see you tomorrow and please Lillian try to relax and remember you have to be there for my graduation, there is no compromise on that", said Jade, she kissed Lillian's cheek and left the room but not before giving Jade a hard stare.

When she got back to the house, Maria ran out to meet her. "What happened?" asked Jade. "Mr Jacob's brother is here from Italy', said Maria in alarm.'Okay then what's wrong?'' asked Jade again.

''It's not what but who, Mr Richard's wife Miranda is very.... I have no words,
let's just say she is not a friendly person, makes me wonder how she cares for her kids'', said Maria, Jade ignored the comment and went straight to the living room. To her dismay the whole family was there so she walked slowly into the room, the men rose smoothly to their feet. A woman in a pink suit lifted her head and pinned Jade with an icy stare.

''You must be Jade?'' the woman said but her greeting sounded like an accusation. ''Yes I am'', replied Jade and Miranda turned her long aristocratic nose away in a snobbish manner. Her husband on the other hand stepped forward and shook hands with Jade, ''Nice to meet you Jade, my name is Richard and this is my wife Miranda and my children Brandon and Emerald'', he said as he gestured to them, where Miranda gave Jade a glare the children smiled and gave her a little wave.

"Let's all head to the dining room for lunch'', said Elena quickly before the situation turned sourer than it was already. Marcus had just about had it with his aunt; her snobbish ways had gotten worse, poor Richard how did he cope with it. He walked close to Jade and gave her hand a tight squeeze, she gasped and looked up to see his face, he hoped she could see the pride in his eyes, she did because a brilliant smile came on her lips and she mouthed a thank you and squeezed his hand back. The emotions he felt at that moment was profound, that he was responsible for the smile on her face made him feel ten feet tall.