Chapter 8

The darkness in the room helped to alleviate the migraine, she turned to her side facing the doorway where the light from the corridor splashed specs of colour on her wine rug, she squinted and was about to turn when the silhouette of a person appeared in her doorway, she didn't know who it was until the person called her name, she immediately wished she could escape and not have to face him.

''Jade are you okay?'' She sat up and swung her leg to the floor but she didn't stand as she couldn't trust herself to without falling. "Yes I am, is something wrong?" Marcus gaped at her reply, "I should be the one asking the questions, do you mean to tell me you were having migraines during dinner and instead of excusing yourself you stayed because of manners?'' he asked exasperatedly, Jade was grateful the lights were off so she couldn't see his facial expression.

''What would you have me do?'' she asked, ''Leave of course, let's go I'm taking you for a walk round the house''. Jade immediately shook her head, ''No need I'll be fine'', she replied but Marcus was past listening and pulled her out of her room only stopping briefly to grab a thick wool sweater and a blanket before pulling her outside.

When they got outside Jade remained silent, if he wanted to be annoyed then two could play the game after all she had plenty to call him out on. ''Why won't you take care of yourself for goodness sake, what if it had gotten worse?'' He stopped in his track when he realized Jade wasn't following him, he turned to find her bent at the waist with one hand on her head and the other on her knee, he immediately ran to her and held her up by her elbow, she leaned head on the hollow between his jaw and chest and breathed in and out slowly, he put his arm around her and stayed still not knowing what else to do.

''I'm sorry'', she muttered and kept walking, ''For what?'' he asked incredulously. 

''Everything, can I seat please?'' Marcus lifted her in his arms and carried her to the swinging chair Brandon and Emerald played house on and sat her down beside him so that she was leaning on him and he covered her with the blanket. 

''You don't have to do this'', she said and began to pull away. ''Stay still Jade'', he said but Jade wasn't listening as she was too busy trying to pull away.

''You shouldn't be here, you are my employer, it unprofessional''. ''I don't care about any of that don't make me worry about you!'' he yelled but his yelling didn't affect Jade as much as his words, she clutched his shirt in her fists and searched his eyes for the truth. ''What?''

''Don't make me worry about you Jade'', he said and she lowered her eyes but he used his index finger and lifted her chin so she looked him straight in the eye. ''Keep your eyes on me''. ''Mr Valiant you shouldn't be saying this to me''. 

''Use my name Jade'', he said but Jade shook her head and looked away, she wanted to run far from the emotions she saw in his eyes and the effect they had on her. 

''I'm sorry for the way I acted today, what happened wasn't your fault and I took my annoyance out on you, it had nothing to do with you I was being inconsiderate and I apologise for that''.

''You have to understand that Jasmine is your betrothed, I couldn't just tell her to leave''. Marcus began to laugh and Jade gave him a puzzled look, ''Jade Jasmine was never my betrothed, Alexander and I called off the arrangement my parents had with them and with Jasmine and Laura, which is what you witnessed today''.

''What? I thought you were interested in getting married?''

''Oh yes I am but to another woman who I am very much interested in', he said and Jade got the inkling he was referring to her but she shook it off and laughed at herself. ''You can rest Jade, I'll take you up when you fall asleep''. Jade moved to him, laid her head on his shoulders and slowly drifted off. Marcus kissed her head and pulled her closer.