Chapter 11 (End)

An hour later Marcus's door opened and Olivia walked in carrying a medium sized basket and a bright smile on her face. "To what do I owe this surprise Olivia", he said with a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

"I come bearing gifts", she said and placed his food in front of him. "Why have you being skipping meals, are you trying to cause damage to yourself?" Marcus snorted and dug into his food.

"These are good, who made them?" "Jade did, she is worried about you", she said and Marcus angled his face away from her shrewd eyes. "She doesn't need to be, it's not her job".

"Marcus don't be insensitive, she is looking out for you", replied Olivia but Marcus didn't reply. Knowing how hard-headed her brother could get she decided to back off. "I'm going to go now, don't do this again, and thank your stars Mom didn't find out". Marcus got to his feet and hugged his sister, "I won't".

After Olivia left Jade purposely stayed out of Marcus's office as much as she could, she knew she would eventually have to face him, why did Christopher have to be on leave today! Bracing herself she walked in.

"They are ready for you Mister Valiant", she said and was almost at the door when he called her back. "Yes?"

"I don't appreciate you going to my sister behind my back". "I really wasn't trying to create any problem".

"You going to my sister without my knowledge is crossing the line", he said as he got to his feet and grabbed his jacket. "You didn't seem fine this morning", she countered quietly, hoping he would let it go.

"That want not your call to make, my health shouldn't concern you this much, I am your boss and not your friend or your boyfriend that you should take matters into your hands". He didn't understand why he was taking his frustration out on her, but that was the truth, it frustrated him that she wouldn't allow him to show her how much he loves her.

"I am just trying to help", she whispered, "Then stop, I don't know when this meeting ends but you better not be here when I get back". She took a deep breath and willed herself not to cry; slowly she took her bag, closed-up and went to see Julie.

"Oh I know that face, what's wrong?" asked Julie but Jade shook her head and climbed in with Julie. "Do you want to rest a while?" she asked and Jade nodded before drifting off.

Marcus didn't know what to make of his father's request to see him, he couldn't think of one thing that could be the problem. His mother engulfed him in a big hug when he got in, an observer would think she hadn't seen him in months but that was the way his mother was and he loved her for it, never one to shy away from expressing emotions something he definitely didn't take after. Olivia glared at him and walked past, he chuckled knowing fully well what she was thinking.

"Where is Dad?" "In the study, he is expecting you". Marcus nodded and kissed her cheeks before heading to the study.

"Dad you wanted to see me?" asked Marcus as he entered and shut the door. "Yes, it's important", said Jacob as he took of his reading glasses. "What's wrong between you and Jade?" Marcus stared at his father with so much love; the man had a knack for knowing when to ask something.

"I don't know Dad", replied Marcus. "Olivia told me what happened", Jacob added and Marcus sighed deeply. "I didn't want Jade to worry too much".

"See that's where you are wrong", replied Jacob and Marcus looked up confused.

"Marcus, Jade has been hurt too many times by lies intended to protect or keep her from worrying. Her mother told her she was fine until her condition took her life, her father told her it was fine to stay with him when it really wasn't, Lillian I'm sure had told her she was fine until she was admitted into the hospital and Julie brushed off her concerns until she almost lost her life. You see, Jade's fear is to not know until it's too late and then she would loathe herself for not knowing sooner and doing something about it because to Jade doing something no matter how small is better than doing nothing". Marcus looked up again and this time Jacob saw understanding.