Chapter 26

KAITLIN’S P.O.V

The hospital finally released me after two days.  Good, finally, I couldn’t help but hate the hospital so much, you have no idea.  I missed my own bedroom, my own dresser, my own kitchen, and…my own window.  I felt complicated about Riley lately.  No I meant it’s already complicated from the beginning – like you could see how hard we started – but the conversation between Riley and Abby made me think…did he seriously still love me? 

“You sure you don’t need anything, Kai?”  Toby put my back on the floor in my bedroom as I rested my body on the bed.

“Nope Tobs, I’m all good.  Go home first, Tank misses you.”  I teased him.

“I’ve written a letter for him to read, in case he looks for me.”

“Aw that’s so cute…”  I gave the big grin.  “Now, go, come back later.”

“Sure thing partner, get better.  I’ll be this close to you if you need something.”  He took my phone, set up the automatic dial of his and Connor’s number, and ran away.  “I love you!”

“Love you too!”  I laughed a bit; we’re at the same age but he somehow didn’t grow up…

I was about to sleep again until a phone call came in.  Riley.

“Yes, Ri…”

“Come over to the window.”

I still held my phone with me and opened the curtain.  There’s my boy…uh…ex-boyfriend.  Yeah, we spoke through phone but actually we saw each other’s faces.

“Hey...how are you feeling?”

“I’m way better, thank you.”

“Have you heard that conversation from Connor’s phone?”

“Yeah…”  I bowed my head.  “Probably you should be with her Ri, she’s totally serious with her words.  I know her.”

“No way…  I made a choice already.  I choose you.”

“Did I even make it to be an option?”

“You’re always being the best option.  No, my fault, you never deserve to be an option.  My fault to put you in there, she’s nothing compares to you.”

“That’s deep.”  I sighed.

“Indeed.  I love you Kai,”

“No you don’t know me.  I’m probably weird and mean.  You probably get the second chance to not choosing me because I’m mean.  This is all probably a big lie.  You probably had been trapped into my life and you really wanted to come out, but you think I’m nice because you don’t know me.”

“Stop talking you silly, I know you.”

“No you don’t.”

“Should I care?”

“Yeah you better do.”

“I love you.”

“I don’t.”

“You’re lying.”

“Can we stop this?”

“No way, this is far from over.”

“Have you ever think that probably you’re slightly too late?”

….

“What?”

“I’m just asking, yeah.”

“Was…I…too…late?”

“You’re probably not.”

“But what the ‘probably’ means?”

“I don’t know, I muttered nonsense.”

“No you don’t.  Tell me the truth.”

“This is the truth.  I just love using word ‘probably’.”

“But I don’t.”

“Shame on you,” I chuckled.

I wasn’t kidding him.

“I want to jump.  Back off.”

“Whoa you better not, dude.”

“I’ve been practicing.  Back off.”

And yeah, for million times, he did.

We hung up the phone and I made a way to the bathroom, but he stopped me.

“Isn’t there even a hug?”

“I hate you.”

“I deserve it, but I’ll fight.”

“It would take years for you to fight.”

“I’ve had the worst, what do I care?”

“Silly,”

“I love you…”

He pressed his lips on mine…for the first time after the car accident and the amnesia stuff.  It felt great but as well as weird.  I kissed…who was he to me?