Chapter 2

Steele had to admit, he was still confused. He had never thought that someone could be that close to beating him in a race, much less a woman.

"So, Claudette."

"Oh no, I said some people. Not you." she replied sarcastically. "If, one day, I forget that this is your fault, then you can call me Claudette. Until then, call me Claude, s'il vous plaît." she finished, sounding nearly flirtatious. Steele looked down, even though he couldn't see, just so he could get out of this conversation.

"Okay. So, Claude. How long does this last? You know, me being blind?" he asked her. She just looked confused.

"Wait, wait. You...This hasn't happened to you before? I mean, I assumed that this was normal but...Okay, everything's okay. Being snowblind, for me, usually lasts about a day or two." She felt like she didn't have to explain this. She had been snowblind enough times to know how long it lasts and how to get around it, but she'd spent most of her life in Canada. Was it different in Alaska? "Oh mon dieu. I just realized, the chances of you making it back alive are very small."

"Well what about you?" She just laughed slightly.

"Oh no, I'm going to survive. It's you I'm worried about." she replied, realizing she shouldn't have said it like that. Steele laughed as if he was flirting with her as well.

"Oh, so you worry about me? Well, that's a little forward, isn't it?"

"Just shut up before you learn that Canadians? Not all as nice as people think." She noticed a forest nearby and smiled. "Perfect. Steele, come with me. Wait, no, just...Just listen for me, okay?" He nodded as they walked towards it. "When I've been snowblind, I've just found it best to just sleep, and it clears it up pretty quickly. Besides, it's getting pretty dark anyway, so-" She paused as she looked at him. He was already asleep, which means he took her advice. He actually looked cute when he was asleep. Did she really just say that? "Hmm. Bonsoir, mon ami."