Chapter 6

With each other's confession still fresh in their minds, Steele and Claudette started to finish their long journey back to their teams. It wasn't that Claudette didn't trust him, but she didn't trust him completely.

"Um, Steele? Do you know exactly where we're going?" She asked him nervously. "I mean, you got us lost in the first place, so..." Steele looked around to get a sense of where they were.

"I'm pretty sure we came through these woods, so I can tell we're close." That relieved both of them, and they started to run so they could get there with no more distractions. They had started to race each other again, until Steele stopped quickly, but Claudette didn't. "Claudette!" She didn't respond, which made Steele terrified, as they were just about to cross a pretty long patch of ice. Before it was too late, Steele had an idea that involved the wolf part of his new girlfriend. He howled to her, and that got her attention. "Claudette, listen. You were about to fall through ice and drown, and I don't want to lose you." He told her seriously. "I want you to be careful, you don't know this place like I do."

"Okay." They walked slowly, judging almost every step they made. It seemed like it would be okay, until Steele heard and felt the ice start to crack beneath him.

"Run!" The two dogs started sprinting to get away from the cracks and to get off the ice. It seemed like they would both make it, until Steele fell through the ice and into the water. Claudette turned around and saw him struggling. At the risk of her own life, she ran back to save him. She grabbed his collar in her mouth, and dragged him out. As he shook the water out of his fur, Steele was impressed. "So, I guess you're pretty strong then?"

"Oui. Malamutes are known for their strength, and I'm half wolf, so I guess I am." They both smiled and looked at each other.

"So, I know how you ended up here, but what about your family? How does a malamute end up breeding with a wolf?"

"That's also simple. My mother was a purebred, and once she fell in love with my father, she ran off with him, and ended up in Quebec. Et voilà, here I am." She replied. For a moment, they had both completely forgot about the competition. The same competition that put them apart, but then brought them together. Claudette sighed. "Steele.  Only one of us can win this race, but...Would it be so bad if we didn't go back?"

"What are you talking about?" He asked her.

"I mean, if we go back and people find out we're in a relationship, we'll never hear the end of it. But," She looked around at the beautiful scenery around them. "If we stay out here, nobody can judge us, and we won't have to worry about being on separate teams! Don't you want that? For us?" She looked at him, and Steele didn't want to say no. But he also didn't want to stay out in the woods with Claudette. They'd come so far, just to want to turn back. Despite being a little broken inside, he had to tell her the truth.

"Claudette, we can't stay out here. I'd rather have people judge us when we're together than for people to think we're dead."

"Alright."