Chapter 3

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Two days later, there was a break in the case. On the same day Francesca’s rental car was recovered in a lot behind a Tim Horton’s 30 minutes north of Toronto, two detectives knocking on neighbours’ doors to try and find clues about the case happened upon a couple directly across the street who had left for vacation the day after she disappeared. Backing out of the driveway on Saturday morning, their luggage was piled so high that the husband couldn’t see the rearview mirror and accidentally bumped a car parked on the street. They got out and assumed its owner was a visitor of Jack’s because they had never seen the before and it was parked right in front of the house. They knocked on the door, but Jack wasn’t home. Taking note of the small white scratch near the gas fuel door, the couple wrote a note explaining the incident and vowed to take care of the cost of repairs when they returned. Sure enough, the couple’s story was validated by the unread note in Jack’s mailbox and a grim report from a detective stationed by Francesca’s car. There was a thin white scratch on the rear of the grey car near the fuel door. What wasn’t accounted for in the car were blood smears of on the bumper and trunk. A forsenics team summoned to the scene verified that the blood belonged to Francesca.

Jack hadn’t told the truth and detectives demanded to know why.