Chapter 9: Get Some Rest

Chapter  9: Get Some Rest

It was starting to get dark by now and we all needed to get back to our base as soon as we could. It was my shift to cook dinner with some of the other girls in the group and I was keen to please, not so eager to disappoint, no matter what my excuse was. We all walked to the red Ferrari, Lola walking ahead with Glenn whilst Daryl led us there. Rick and I on the other hand stayed back by ourselves for a bit, walking in silence.

“I never thanked you,” I said, breaking the awkward quietness, “for everything.”

“Nah, nah,” chuckled Rick as he shoved his hands into his pockets, “I’m the one who should be thanking you. If it weren’t for you, I’d be dead; Shane too.”

“No, Shane would be alive; he’s too tough for death.” I smiled wryly, “but you? Yeah, you’d be dead.”

“Well thanks.” he laughed.

“No problem.” I replied.

The car wasn’t too far away now, but I was enjoying spending some time with Rick. I needed it. He had saved me after all, and I had saved him.

“You only came back for that hat, didn’t you?” I asked him, tugging on the rim of his Sheriffs hat that was lying neatly on top of the bag when I had first found it.

“Don’t tell anyone.” He sniggered.

“You gave away half of our guns and amo-”

“Not nearly half!”

“And all for a bunch of old farts that were to die off momentarily anyhow! I mean come on, how long do you actually think they’ve got?”

“How long do any of us?”

We finally arrived at the car, swinging open the doors and piling into it just like we had done this morning. It was strange to think about the day I’d had. This morning I had woken up, squared Shane’s jaw, rescued a hat and some guns, nearly got mauled by dead-ones in the process and then got kidnapped. Now I was back here in the Ferrari where my day had begun.

The drive back was nice and smooth, seeing as Rick was driving this time around. Glenn couldn’t drive for shit, and I hated to say so, but it was more than true. It was currently twilight, and the lush green forest appeared to be illuminated at night. The sheer beauty of it was impeccable, something I could get used to seeing every day.

When we had arrived back at the camp, all seemed calm and well; the way things should be and once were. Our car pulled up in the “drive way”, which was actually just a clear and wide stretch of dirt, and parked there. Rick stepped out of the car, Daryl following his lead and then the rest of us. Rick ran swiftly over to where Lori and Carl were, embracing them. Daryl walked with his head down over to his motorbike and strung-up ferrets and Glenn headed straight for the RV. Andrea and Amy stood eagerly waiting for Lola to come over to them and Shane walked right over to me, a twisted expression on his face.

“Jesus Christ, you had me worried sick!” he exclaimed as he jogged up to me, “shit girl, what happened to you?”

“I’m fine.” I breathed, brushing his hand away from my face as he reached up to examine it.

“You’re covered in cuts and bruises, what the hell happened out there?!”

“Shane, I told you I’m fine.” I said again, shaking my head, “why can’t you just accept my answer?”

“Because you look like you’ve been beaten up.”

“It’s just karma for beating you up this morning.” I sniggered.