Chapter 20: Do or Die

The wine bottle hurtled through the air, the whooshing sound of it gliding through the atmosphere heard by the thrower who launched it at the automatic locked door. The bottle shattered upon impact with the door, the clear glass fragments falling down to the ground and making an awfully loud clinking noise when they touched the floor.

"Open the damn door!" Screamed Daryl who lodged the bottle at the door.

Jenner gave Daryl a blank look before glancing over at Shane who picked up an axe from our weapon bag.

"Out of my way!" Screamed Shane as he ran at the door with an axe in hand, bashing the weapon against the door over and over again trying to smash it open.

I grabbed the other axe that lay on the floor beside me and tossed it to Daryl who caught it one handed and worked with Shane to get the door open.

After around ten minutes of the two man crashing into the door with axes, I decided to go and check up on them.

"Any luck?" I asked Shane as soon as he stopped, placing my hand on his shoulder and giving it a gentle squeeze.

Shane shook his head and dropped the axe on the floor.

"Those doors were made to withstand a rocket launcher." Said Jenner in a just-so-you-know tone of voice.

This time, Daryl ran at Jenner with the axe that he still held in his hand, "well your head ain't!"

It took three men, Dale, T-Dog and Rick, to pry Daryl away from Jenner. I jumped behind Daryl and snatched the axe out of his hands as soon as he had loosened his grip on it.

"Admit it Rick, you do want this; you want an end to your and every body else's suffering." Said Jenner in a calm almost creepy voice, "last night, you told me... You said you knew it was only a matter of time until everybody you love was dead."

Shane stared at Rick, his jaw hanging as he gave Rick a look of disbelief, "what? You really said that? Even after all your big talk?"

"I had to keep hope alive, didn't I?" Hissed Rick.

"Ha!" Laughed Jenner, "are you people blind? There is no hope! There never was!"

"There's ALWAYS hope." Retorted Rick, "maybe there ain't any here, but there's gotta be someone somewhe-"

"What part of 'everything's gone' do you not fucking understand?" Growled Andrea, interrupting Ricks speech.

"Listen to your friend, she gets it." Muttered Jenner, "this is what takes us down. This is how the human race becomes extinct."

Shane shook his head, refusing to believe a word that this crazy nutter was saying. I didn't want to believe it either. I didn't want to die. Not anymore. Before, I had a reason to live, and that was Lola. I wanted to protect her at all costs, even if it meant giving my life for her. Now I had another reason to keep going, and that was Shane. I never had someone like him. I never had someone who loved me like I loved them. And I loved Shane. In a world this one that we live in today, you need someone to love. You needed comfort. You needed someone to lie to you and tell you it was all going to be okay and you needed someone to do the same for. You needed someone to be able to want to give your life for, for what other reason do we have to live?

"This isn't right!" Sobbed Carol into her daughters bony shoulder, "you can't just keep us here!"

"One moment, a millisecond, no pain." Explained Jenner.

"My daughter doesn't deserve to die like this!" She cried even louder, stroking Sophia's golden brown hair with each sob.

I felt Shane tense beside me, taking my attention away from Carol and back to Shane. His face scrunched up in disgust at the way we were being held here and his fists transformed into knuckles.