Closure

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."   
~ C.S. Lewis

The weekend rolled around quicker than I ever could have anticipated. Yumi and Haneul were already at Mr and Mrs Jeon's. It had pained me to say goodbye to them, knowing what I was about to do. I told myself that it was for the best. Told myself that Yumi and Haneul were the reason I was doing this. I checked that I was ready to go three or four times before I pulled the address up on my phone. 

Typing it into the satnav, I realised that it wasn't actually that far from where I was - no wonder Mina could come and go with such ease. Taking a deep breath, I tried to steady myself before I grabbed the car keys from the bowl, heading outside and not looking back. 

I reached the address a lot sooner than I thought I would. Once I had, I turned off the engine and sat outside for a while just looking at the house in front of me. It didn't look sinister from the outside - it just looked like a regular house. But just the sight of it was enough to make my heart pound in my chest, to make my skin crawl. 

There were no lights on inside. No obvious indications that anyone was home. After waiting twenty minutes, I couldn't take it anymore and hopped out of the car, heading towards the house. Once I approached the door, I realised it was slightly ajar. Pushing it open further, I stepped inside of the living room, half expecting to be confronted where I stood. 

But there was no one there. 

My heels chimed against the cold wood floor as I quickly investigated to make sure Taemin had sent me to the right place. My eyes fell upon an array of picture frames lined up like a shrine along the counter-top. I definitely had the right place. Pictures of Jungkook, some with Mina, some without, lined the sideboard. I leaned in closer, examining the pictures. I gasped slightly, taken aback. 

Every picture that Yumi featured in, no matter how old she was when it was taken, had her face scribbled out. Mina, her biological mother, had scribbled her face aggressively out of every single photograph. I dragged my eyes away from it, the sight unsettling. My eyes moved along the sideboard. Flight tickets, a handful of passports and on the floor, two suitcases. 

Filled with a mixture of curiosity and confusion, I set about opening the suitcases. The first contained Mina's clothes, it was obvious just by looking at them that they belonged to her. I moved my attention to the second, slightly smaller case. 

My heart stilled as my blood ran cold through my body. I flicked through the items in the suitcase, a feeling of dread coursing through my veins. The case was full of clothes for a little boy and basic essentials for a newborn baby. I closed the case back over, my hands shaking as I moved towards the passports lying on the counter. 

I prayed that I was wrong. 

Prayed that by some miracle someone had gotten Mina pregnant and that she was in actual fact getting ready to leave our lives for good. 

Flicking open the first passport, I was greeted with Mina's face. I scanned it briefly, stopping in my tracks when I realised she had herself named as 'Jeon Mina'. I frowned, knowing Jungkook and Mina were never married. I wasn't surprised to see that the second passport was made out to 'Jeon Jungkook'. The picture that was used was clearly from one of the images that Mina had lined up across the counter. I opened the last, hands shaking. 

My heart fell to my feet. I narrowed my eyes as he looked at the picture. It wasn't even a picture of him but it would pass, it was close enough. 

The last passport was made out to Jeon Haneul. 

My child. 

What did Mina have planned? 

The only thing I could hear was my blood pounding in my ears so when a voice cut through the silence, I nearly jumped out of my skin. I span, passport still in hand, eyes full of fury.