Chapter Six

Chapter Six: Confrontations

"Hermione?"

Ginny had whispered, but it seemed as if the whole Great Hall had heard her words.

Hermione held her breath, willing the building tears not to spill. The silence was suffocating, it seemed like eternity till Ginny spoke again.

"Is it...really you?" she asked, still in a quiet whisper.

Hermione couldn't speak, she could feel the lump in her throat grow larger and larger as time progressed. She simply nodded.

At the motion, Ginny shook out of her shock and pulled her best friend into a hug, nearly knocking the woman down in the process.

"Where-have-you-been!?" Ginny whacked her friend lightly with every word.

Hermione giggled, happy tears filling her eyes, and let out a sigh of relief she hadn't known she was holding in.

"Ginny, I've missed you so much," she hugged her best friend until Ginny was gasping for air.

"Alright 'Mione! Not so tight, it's not good for the baby," Ginny laughed as Hermione's eyes widened.

"You're pregnant!?" she squealed happily, glancing at Ginny's slightly protruding stomach.

"Four months along," announced a voice from behind Ginny.

Harry stepped out, kissing his wife on the cheek and greeting his old friend.
She grinned and hugged the Chosen One tightly, suddenly realizing just how much she had missed him.

"Mum," Hermione heard a small voice and glanced down to the young boy tugging on Ginny's dress.

"Yes, my darling?" Ginny asked sweetly, picking him up and placing the child on her hip.

Seeing Hermione's confusion, Ginny laughed and introduced her sons.

"Hermione, these are our two boys, James Sirius..." The older boy with brown hair and rectangular glasses grinned brightly at Hermione.
"And Albus Severus." Ginny gestured to the boy on her hip. Albus smiled shyly, but quickly hid his head when Hermione smiled back. He looked almost identical to Harry, but with Ginny's eyes.

"They're beautiful, Gin," Hermione smiled and thought of her own kids.

"They are. I only wish Harry hadn't knocked my sister up three bloody times!" Hermione's heart sped as she heard the voice of her last best friend.

"Ron!" the witch exclaimed, hugging the man joyfully.

"Bloody hell Hermione. I need to breathe," he chuckled.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so happy to see you all!" Hermione's smile was so wide it seemed her face may split from it.

***

Hermione spent most of the evening meeting her old friend's spouses and by the end of it, she missed hers terribly.

To Hermione's surprise and Ginny's annoyance, Ron had married Gabrielle Delacour, Fleur's younger sister. The couple had three beautiful daughters, Amelie Apolline, Adeline Fleur, and Annette Molly, as well as one on the way. Needless to say, Ron hoped it would be a boy.

Luna and Neville Longbottom were engaged, and had a baby girl named Alice. They were meant to get married last spring, but Luna became pregnant.

Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas were engaged but were still waiting for gay marriage to be legalized in England.
In the mean time, they had adopted a beautiful baby boy named Adam Thomas-Finnigan.

"So 'Mione, who's the lucky bloke?" Harry asked, gesturing to the impressive ring on his friend's finger.

"Oh..erm," she began.
She was still building up the courage when she felt a tug on her dress, and looked down to find her daughter pointing at Draco across the room.

She nodded when she saw he was gesturing towards the kids.

"I'm sorry, would you excuse me for just one second?" Ginny looked eager to find out who the mysterious husband was, but remained patient while Hermione made her way to the refreshment table.

Hermione motioned for the children to join her, noting Draco's grateful expression when she did. The couple didn't speak, as to not draw attention to themselves, but Hermione did shoot him a loving glance or two as she marched back to the crowded table, three kids in tow.

"My word, Hermione. You've been busy," Luna noted, making Hermione crack a smile at the girl's blunt words.

"Everyone, these are my children. These are the twins, Evangeline and Scorpius," the children remained quiet but shot the group bright smiles.

"And this is my youngest, Hugo."
The little boy inched forward slowly. Upon meeting the eyes of the curious adults, he grinned and waved.

"They're adorable, but the curiosity it killing me. Who's your husband?" Ginny broke the silence once again. The group fell silent waiting for a response.

Hermione felt her mouth go dry as she looked around at the faces of her old friends, and her heart broke when she noticed her children's confusion. They had no way of knowing why their mother wouldn't reveal the identity of their father, in their eyes there was nothing wrong with their parents' union.

"Evening."
A familiar voice saved her from answering, but she knew immediately that she should have come out with it earlier. The voice belonged to her husband, the Golden Trio's old arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy.

"Malfoy?" Ron asked, instinctively placing a protective arm around his wife and exchanging a knowing glance with his sister. 

"Draco," Harry addressed him politely, to which the man replied just as callously,"Potter."

"I'm just here to check on my beautiful wife and children," he said, kissing the top of Hermione's head lightly.

She gently smacked him on the arm.
"You couldn't wait a few more moments?" She seethed, trying to buy time before she would have to see their reactions.

Ron and Ginny looked horrified. Harry looked confused. Neville appeared surprised, but indifferent. Luna looked spacey, as she usually did.

After a silence that seemed to last hours, someone spoke.

"You married Malfoy?"