20. I am so pathetic

Marco's POV

The guys talked me into paying a visit to Hanna and as courageous as I was in the car coming to the hospital compared in no point to the fact how nervous I was approaching her door. First of all I had no idea in what state she was and second what should I really say to her? Moreover... I had no idea what she liked so I was not sure what should I bring her. Flowers? That would've been socially accepted, but maybe a bit too familiar. Chocolates? I had no idea if she liked them, she was a great baker but it didn't mean that she had a sweet tooth.

"Gosh, I am so pathetic" I hissed to myself looking at a small bouquet of daisies. I felt like a teenager going on a first date and in fact I was just visiting a former employee of mine. I must've looked like a crazy person cause after few of my attempts one of the older nurses giggled and approached me.

"The easiest way to get inside is to open the door young man" she spoke giving me an encouraging smile and that made me even more nervous and I was not sure if I liked it. Not having any control over a simple situtation was so not me. But I nodded my head and after a soft knock I entered the room to meet two pairs of eyes looking at me. One were curious and rather amused and the second completely shocked.

"Hanna... umm.. hi" I spoke trying to break the silence and I felt my hands getting sweaty "I just wanted to see if you were okay but I guess that I will not interrupt if you are having a guest."

Hanna sat a bit more up on her pillows and tilted her head. She was still silent and her grey eyes were almost looking inside me. If I could I would've cried for help of any of my stupid friends that put me in this position, but according to them their company was not needed.

"Hi Marco" she spoke in a weak voice after what seemed to be like a century "is that for me?" she pointed at the small bouquet that now was probably smashed by my grip.

"Give it to me, I'll arrange some water for them" the other girl that I remembered from my visit to Ms. Mia took the flowers from my hand and disappeared from the room.

"How are you feeling?" I asked stuffing my hands into my pockets. The collar of my shirt was making it almost impossible for me to breath.

"I am good, but I've been better" she smiled kindly.

"I was just passing by and as I've heard that you were here I decided to drop by" I lied completely not understanding why and her amused look showed me that she knew the truth.

"Oh, so that turns out great" she smiled and grabbed something from the nightstand and handed it to me "Cause by total accident I've found your sweater."

I chuckled and sat down on the chair next to her bed taking the sweater and putting it on my lap.

"I've found you on the street Hanna" I swallowed and looked at her "and I've brought you here. I was on my way to check up on you. I feel really bad about the way how I behaved towards you. I am sorry, that was not at all acceptable."

Hanna's POV

When Marco finished his short speech I saw the shadow of Maria on the corridor but probably by noticing my face she got the clue that it would be better not to enter in that very moment. He was nervous, almost resembling a timid person, but I've remembered him like a totally different person. I still remembered his clenched jaw when he was angry or his harsh words when he talked to me over the phone when he fired me, but now he was way softer, he was a human after all.

"Thank you for helping me" I spoke softly and when he heard my voice his head popped and he stopped focusing on his fingers that h was playing with nervously "Even though I do not remember that, I still am very thankful for that."

Marco nodded his head in a kind way but then opened his mouth to speak and I immediately knew what he wanted to say, but I stopped him.

"And because of that can we forget about the way that we parted?" I spoke and there was a relief on his face "I mean now that I owe you my life..."

"Do not exaggerate" He chuckled and made himself a bit more comfortable on the chair.

"Okay...so whatever I owe you makes me think that maybe we could start from the beginning?" I asked blushing a bit and Marco nodded softly.

"I'd like that very much" he smiled warmly and I felt a whole flock of butterflies starting to go crazy in my belly.