Chapter Four

After school, Mal walked to her mom's office. With her mother being headmistress of Auradon Prep, Mal had to keep a professional profile on campus. Who knows what people would think if she "acted up". That wouldn't be a good image for her or her mother.

"Mom, are you busy?" Mal asked her mother.

"No, not at all," Fairy Godmother responded. "Do you need anything. Did you forget your lunch?"

"No, I was just wondering if I could talk to you about something."

Fairy Godmother then had a worried expression on her face. "Is there something wrong?" Fairy Godmother was always a worried one when it came to how her daughters were feeling.

"Not necessarily," Mal replied. She sat down in a chair that was set in front of Fairy Godmother's desk. "I-I've been having these really weird dreams lately. I began having them when school started. I used to only have one every few weeks, but now, they're becoming more frequent. I know you're kind of against the whole magic thing, but since you know a lot about it, I was wondering if you know something that could help."

"What are these dreams about? What usually happens in them?" Fairy Godmother asked with a serious tone.

"For some reason, it's like I'm a little kid again," Mal explained. "This shadowy figure is almost like torturing me. I can't see much of the figure, but I know that it's a woman with horns." Fairy Godmother looked at Mal with a shocked look as she continued talking. "There's some hint of purple, but that's all I can see." Mal then noticed the scared look on her mother's face.

"T-That's pretty intense," Fairy Godmother finally said.

"Yeah," Mal said. "I was wondering if you knew if it meant anything. Maybe about where I came from? Maybe it could explain why I have magic?"

Fairy Godmother sighed. "Mal, I know you're curious about your magic, but you know the rules about magic in Auradon."

"I know, but I just wanna know what's going on," Mal said. "All I know is that I was born on the Isle of the Lost!"

"Mal, there's a lot more to you than just being another kid from the island. You are so much more. You're a wonderful artist."

"But why? Me and the other Isle kids are such outsiders from the rest of the kids who were born here. Why are we so different? Why am I so different? I just want to know where and who I came from."

"Mal, listen to me," Fairy Godmother said, "you are an amazing young lady. I know you feel like a part of you is missing, but I promise you, if I could tell you about your origins, I would."

"What do you mean if you could?" Mal questioned. "D-Do you know something I don't?"

"Mal, I-"

"You're hiding something from me!"

"I want to tell you, but I can't!"

"Mom, what do you mean you can't tell me? I'm sixteen and still trying to find myself!"

"Mal, it was King Beast's demand that we don't tell any of the Isle kids their origin. I'm sorry. I want to tell you. I just can't. I promise you that I would tell you everything if I could."

"I just have one more thing to ask," Mal said, calming down a little. "And don't take this the wrong way. I love you dearly, but do you know who my biological parents are?"

Fairy Godmother looked into Mal's green eyes. She had remembered like looking into those eyes thirteen years ago. She couldn't lie to her anymore. "I don't know anything about your father, but I know all about your mother."

"Okay," Mal said. "I'm gonna go to my dorm now. I promised Lonnie I would help her on some history homework."

"Alright."

To Fairy Godmother's surprise, Mal hugged her. "Thank you for adopting me. I know I don't say it often, but I truly am grateful."

Fairy Godmother kissed Mal's forehead. "You are welcome."

Mal then walked out the door and waved to her mother as she left.