Chapter Six

Evie and Ben were walking through the halls of the school together. Ben looked over at Evie, who looked nervous. He knew she had a nightmare the night before, and he wanted to make sure she was okay.

"Evie, is everything alright?" Ben asked.

"Y-Yeah," she replied. "I promise you that it was just a dream. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Because you looked pretty terrified last night. I mean, you were practically sobbing. Something has to be up."

"Don't worry. I talked to mom about it, and she helped me not be scared of it."

"Okay..." Ben said, knowing something was still up.

"So, you have to come up with your first official proclamation," Evie said, changing the subject away from her. "Do you have any idea of what you want to do?"

"I don't know," Ben replied. "I've thought about several proclamations, but they're usually when situations are different."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, for starters, I've sometimes wondered what it would be like if dad had never brought you and all the other kids over from the Isle," Ben said. Evie looked up at her brother, who seemed to be looking off into space. "If you guys were still on the Isle, my first proclamation would be to give you guys a second chance."

"What do you mean second chance?" Evie asked. "What? Did we do something wrong on our first chance? Why second chance to live in Auradon. Why not just...chance?"

It was then that Ben realized he had slipped up about something he wasn't supposed to. He looked down at his sister, who now had curiosity in her dark brown eyes. "I-I don't know," Ben replied. "I mean, I'm not entirely sure why you and the others were on the Isle of the Lost, but there must have been a reason why you were there."

"Yeah," Evie mumbled.

"Hey, but you're here now," Ben said. Evie remained silent. Ben wanted to know what was going on in her brain, but knowing how sensitive she was, he decided to leave it alone. "I'm gonna go now."

"Okay," Evie replied as Ben walked away. Evie then approached her locker, so she could put somethings away and fix her makeup.

"Hey Evie," Mal said. She was joined by Jay and Carlos.

"Hey," Evie replied.

The three of them noticed the tone of Evie's voice. It wasn't her normal soft and relaxed tone. It was a little low and nervous tone. "Evie, what's wrong?" Mal asked, knowing something was up.

"You know how you and Carlos said you were having these dreams where a shadowy figure is basically torturing you?"

"Yeah," Mal said.

"Well-"

"Did you have a dream last night?" Carlos asked.

Evie nodded. It was then she began shaking a little, and a small tear fell down her face. Mal immediately pulled Evie into a hug. Evie cried a little on her friend's shoulder. "It must have been pretty bad, huh?" Mal asked. Evie nodded. Evie then explained everything that happened down to the very last detail.

"That sounds really bad," Carlos said. "In my dreams, I just get yelled at, and I'm treated like a servant."

The three of them couldn't help but feel sorry for their friend. Not only was the figure in her dream abusing her physically, it was abusing her emotionally and mentally.

"Does your family know about your dreams?" Mal asked.

"Ben and my dad know I had a nightmare," Evie answered, "but only my mom knows what happened."