Chapter Sixteen

Evie walked through the halls, looking for Doug. Where is he? She thought. Maybe he changed his mind? Evie thought once more. Carlos couldn't be lying, could he? He couldn't be; he did pinky promise after all.

"Evie!" a voice called from behind her.

Evie turned around and smiled. "Doug! There you are. I've been looking for you."

"You've been looking for me?" Doug aasked. "I've been looking for you. Are you alright? I'm so sorry for what Gordon and Duncan did to you."

"It's fine," Evie said. "As a villain kid, I guess that's just something I have to get used to."

"But that's the point," Doug said. "You shouldn't have to get used to it. This shouldn't even be happening in the first place. You deserve to be treated the same as us Auradon-born kids."

"But we're not, Doug," Evie said. Doug listened to Evie itently. "We're not like the Auradon-born kids. We're never going to be like anybody here. Us villain kids are always going to be different, and there's nothing we can do to change that. Even before we found out who our parents really were, we've always been different. Now that we know what we are, nothing's going to be the same as it was when we were just kids." Evie sighed. "I wish we could go back to when we were kids."

"Me too," Doug said. "But that's just part of life. Things are always changing, and there's no way to go back. However, we can choose how we react to these changes. Obviously, some Auradon kids have chosen their stance, but I'm sure with time, it'll change." Doug lifted Evie's chin, so she was looking right at him. "I promise, Evie, just continue being you. I'm sure people will come around."

Evie chuckled as her cheeks turned a bright red color. "I-I guess you're right. T-Thanks Doug. I really needed to hear that."

Doug nodded. "Anyway, why were you looking for me?"

"Why were you looking for me?"

"I asked you first."

Evie laughed. Her giggle made a smile appear on Doug's face. "Um, so, Carlos may or may not have told me about your feelings of me."

Doug's smile dropped. "He what?"

"Doug, it's okay cause...um...I like you too," Evie said.

"You do?"

Evie nodded. "Y-Yeah. I've had this crush on you for awhile now."

"A-Are you sure?" Doug asked. "I-I mean, you're a princess. I'm not even royalty. You know I'm not a prince, right?"

Evie chuckled. To Doug's surprise, she embraced him tightly. Once the shock had gone away, Doug returned the embrace. "I don't need a prince to make me happy," Evie said. "I like you just the way you are. You're a prince in my heart."

Doug smiled. "Will you be my date to the coronation? And if it goes well, will you be my girlfriend?"

Evie looked up into Doug's eyes."I would love to."

Evie's eyes seemed to sparkle when Doug looked into them. "There's those cute, little, chocolate chip eyes I love so much."

The two of them joined hands as they walked to their next class together. Things finally started to turn out great.