Chapter 3

***warning some abuse and language and triggers. Thanks for reading*****

Shaking I brace myself for the next blow.

"I told you to count! I can't hear you. Do I need to remind you why we are doing this!"

No I don't need a reminder, heaven forbid I walk by the mail man on my way inside from school. My knees burn from the rice cutting into them, each of her blows are getting harder and harder to handle. I can't even remember what number I am on. She pulls back the belt I can hear the swishing as it comes down.

"Fifteen," I mumble hoping I am right or close.

Her grin is menacing, "Oh so you want to go back to fifteen, fine with me five more Sang."

Mentally I am kicking myself for adding more blows. The next five pass in a blur of tears, sweat and I think she finally broke skin so blood. I don't understand why I am the only one to get punished. I don't know who this her is that mother keeps talking about. I only know that whoever her is did something to upset mother and I need to not act like her.

"You may go to your room after you sweep up the rice and clean the mess off the floor. You won't be getting dinner tonight and I will let you know about breakfast in the morning."

She walks away with out a backward glance, slowly I pull myself to my feet. Looking around at the mess I whimper and hobble to the broom. As I am sweeping the rice up Marie walks in and right through what I swept up. Rice scatters everywhere and my work now will take more time. I look to her and see her smiling, she heads to the fridge and grabs something to eat. She walks past me and as she does she thrusts her shoulder into my gut. I wince and clutch my stomach, I hear her giggle as she walks to her room.

I start my task again and finish in ten minutes, gingerly I walk to my room. As I pass their room my mother calls out for me. Bracing myself at her door she throws a steaming mug in my face. When did she go to the kitchen, my face burns and I try to hide my tears. She holds up my backpack and I didn't hide my cringe successfully. There was a note from my teacher praising my test scores and recommending that I move up a grade. He also recommended me taking a language class since I was interested in learning.

As I try to explain she grabs my hair, yanking me back she starts to....

The scream I was about to unleashed dies in my throat as I shoot out of bed. That was the night before the academy found me. A male teacher noticed my potential, notice I said male. First the incident with the mail man then a male teacher singing my praises, well it set her off. Most parents would be thrilled their child was academically inclined, mine not so much. It brought attention to our family, and my ghost status. I didn't know about the ghost part then but once I found out it made more sense.

Glancing at the alarm clock it reads 5:15 am, well no time like the present to get a start on things. With my nightmares and job I don't get much sleep. Even though I should be recovering from the last job and beating, I can't. I know there won't be another opportunity like this to get things done between my parents and sister being around. I also know if I don't get the house done by the time they get home I'll get another "punishment" on top of what injuries I already have. Looking at my semi naked body in the mirror I grimace, scars litter my torso. From my mothers unique punishments to my job I have enough scars to pass around. Sighing I grab a T-shirt and jean shorts, I throw my hair in a messy bun and quickly I dress to start my day.

I head down to the kitchen and realize we don't have any food, not only that but Dad took the car to see mom. So we have no way to get around and no food, I grab my new phone and map quest how far the nearest store is. When the car is here I can normally push it a bit away and start it so no one knows I am using it. In Cali I was able to get around because I bought a beat up bike. The academy gave me a fake motorcycle license, I had a fake regular license as well as a ID saying I was over 21. I'll add looking up a new ride on my list for tonight. The store is two miles away, alrighty after I unpack the kitchen I'll head to town and grab some groceries. It takes me about two hours to unpack the kitchen and I head upstairs to grab cash from my bag. I'll need to swing by a atm tonight and withdraw some more cash from the academy debit card.