2.2.article

INSIDE THE HOME: JUNE HILL  By Laura Kippling

On Sunday the 14th of July I nervously walk up to the home of June Hill. Both nervous and excited at the prospect of meeting an astounding talent. However, I couldn't help but feel apprehensive due to the fact that I had no previous allusion to her personality, mostly created by the lack of media insight to her life.

To my relief June opens the door with a wide grin apologizing for the state of her rather simple home. That displayed walls of light pastel colours throughout the house creating a modern, snug atmosphere. Contrary to the singers belief, the house is cleaner than anyone else I've interviewed apart from the stacks books just piled on tables.

June welcomed me and asked if I wanted tea or coffee, displaying a warmth I had not expected. After collecting our cups of dark coffee I was led into the living room. This too followed the pastel theme as it was a light blue decorated, to my surprise, with Guns n' Roses memorabilia. A strange contrast that somehow suited the room.

Have you always been interested in music? Her eyes seemed to light up at the question, although I wasn't sure to ask it since it must be a frequently asked question. "Yeah, but it wasn't until my teens when I got my first guitar; it's now covered in random stickers and doodles."she gestured to the lone object in the corner that I hadn't noticed until now.

Covered in cliche tourist stickers the guitar looked worn and probably held a lot of sentimental value to the singer. Do you collect a sticker from wherever you visit on tour?  "I try to find cheesy touristy shops if I have time to explore."

Because of her reputation or my lack of imagination, I couldn't imagine her doing any mundane act. It seemed strange if June Hill acted in such a normal way that completely juxtaposed her estranged romantic poet persona often portrayed in the media. However, this expectant face currently looking up at me suggested a genuine tenderness that the magazines had never reported on before.

Swiftly opting for a more direct question as I inquired, do you have any other passions at the moment? A pale blush rose across the ivory skin and instantly I guessed at the cause of the blood rushing to cheeks. Countless articles had already been written about her and the ex-boy-band member and this alluded me to conclude there was some affection between her and him, at least on her part.

Quickly she attempted to regain her posture "Urm- Yeah, I'm currently writing songs and hoping to work with a couple of people."June's eyes stared into the dark abyss of her black coffee trying to hide her endearing embarrassment, which wasn't a trait I expected of her initially on my arrival.

Collaborating with anyone exciting?  I questioned kindly trying to put her at ease. "Yeah, it's a singer I have admired for her song writing, that sounds like an old romantic poet. Though I've only sent an email so I'm not sure to expect much."June answered with such a genuine passion I knew that she could continue to explain her passion for decades. Her bright passion seemed to beam from her with such an earnest smile you never wanted to move out of her presence.

I'm sure it will something to look forward too. I genuinely assured the brunette. This comment that might have seemed flippant in a casual conversation provoked a reaction I felt privileged to be in the receiving end of. The songstress in front of me must have received thousands of comments of praise, yet her eyes showed a great amount of appreciation, as if it were the first time. 

Is your family as devoted as your fans are? I can't imagine how proud they must be. The question was regrettably intrusive, and I hoped this persona was far from a facade.

A glint of mirth passed across her chocolate eyes and a dainty amused smile curved upwards. "When I was a supporting act for Taylor, my dad came and he was confused to why I only did a couple of songs. So I had to explain to him it wasn't actually my concert. To my horror he approached her and demanded to know why I could only do a couple of songs. I don't think I've ever been so red."

There was a genuine tone in the 20-year-old songstress's voice that is rarely heard in my occupation. Making me believe this delicate personality presented in this interview. Perhaps it's because she rarely appeared in the media that we assumed her persona was cold and untrustworthy. 

The shining daylight tangled with her chocolate locks creating an angelic appearance that I hadn't believed was possible, yet there was a disputable realism to her appearance. The facial expression that appeared on her face wasn't forced like the models that appear on advertisements. A natural beauty.

How did she react? I questioned interested in the anecdote.

Her lips stretched even further "To my relief she was completely fine with it. But I don't know if I would be okay with a near six foot man with a beard approaching me and demanding why their daughter only sang a few songs."A chuckle fell from her lips and her eyes seemed to drift back in time.

Do you currently appearing in any events? I inquired interested if her avoidance of media had come to an end.

Her chocolate eyes snapped back to the present and seemed in thought "I'm pretty sure I'm going to a fashion event. But I can't remember when, I'm constantly forgetting dates for events and things." 

She twisted a strand of hair between her fingers in nervous habit and looked as if she were trying not to burst into her trademark pink blush.

Are you bringing a plus one? I asked conversationally hoping to get clarification on some of the relationship rumors surrounding the singer.

"I'm going with Daisy-I think. I'm always nervous at events were I feel like I'm always being watched-by cameras and judgmental people.It puts me at ease."A vulnerable expression appeared on face presenting her humanity that the media doesn't normally associate with her.

After a thought she seemed amused "Daisy would probably force me to go anyway." 

Yet another thing that was so relatable about her, we all have that friend that is adoringly pushy, an embarrassing parent and anxiety in the presence of judgement. A list of relatable things I wasn't expecting to find. Instead, I was expecting an uptight ice-queen.

The continuation of both amiable phatic conversation and the exchange humorous anecdotes, particularly about the hilarious embarrassment that Thomas Hill has brought to her over the years, continued until my departure. 

I looked back on the quaint house of June Hill and reflected of the unexpected warmth, that I had never received from an influential celebrity before. It gave me a sense of hope that everything was not as it seemed.