Chapter Two: The Smiler and The Pig Thing

Marigold lived in The Flaunt Tower

Marigold lived in The Flaunt Tower. She thought it looked like an enormous doughnut sitting around the end of a huge banana. Archie Flaunt, her father, had insisted that the tower curve. Nothing made him happier than watching people sweat to give him exactly what he wanted. The whole building was painted a dirty golden yellow. It was considered a monstrosity on the city's skyline. Nobody ever said that to Archie of course. He loved his unique home. He loved all his money that had made it possible even more.

Inside the giant doughnut, Archie was sitting at the glass dining table with a pile of children's shoes in front of him. He picked up a pink sandal and bent back the sole between his hands. His tight pin striped suit strained at the seams as his tubby body made the flexing motion. On the fourth attempt, the sole split. Archie smiled, picked up a yellow trainer and began to repeat the process.

Marigold burst into the room and shoved her red earlobe under his nose.

'Dad! Look what she did to me!'

Archie examined the diamond stud for a second and then moved his head away from his daughter's.

'Dad!'

Archie looked through her to Lolly who had just come in.

'I hope you didn't pay some fancy price.'

Lolly slumped into a chair, dropping her designer store carrier bags onto the floor.

'But it's perfect, Archie!'

He grunted as he made the sole of the yellow trainer split.

Marigold rubbed her sore ear and studied him. Why had she thought he'd care any more than her mother?

Lolly indicated her diamond necklace and ear rings. 'We've got to have matching jewellery for My Millionaire Mummy. They're filming our show next week.'

'What's wrong with a few plastic beads?'

Lolly laughed. 'Oh stop teasing, baby.'

Archie grinned at her.

Marigold tried again. 'It really hurt. It's still stinging now.'

Archie showed Lolly the split soles of the shoes. 'New formula for the rubber's just right. Few weeks and the new styles will be in pieces.'