Chapter Twenty-Two: The Truth Told at the Tower

Marigold could only guess at what was happening to Bert and Bob

Marigold could only guess at what was happening to Bert and Bob. At that very moment, the agitated diamond thieves were standing under the clock at the entrance to the Jewel House. Bob was agitated because he could almost taste the Kohinoor. Bert was agitated because he could hear the shouts of approaching Beefeaters. He'd stopped running to take out something from the bag. He felt deep inside it but his long fingers were only touching Bob's stash of diamonds.

'Kohinoor!' groaned Bob.

'Over here!' yelled a gruff man's voice.

'Oooh', said Bert in panic as his fingers frantically thrashed about at the bottom of the bag.

The sound of heavy boots stamping on the ground became louder. Three Beefeaters appeared from around a corner of The White Tower.

Bert finally took hold of what he was looking for. He pulled it out of the bag. It was a large paper package. He tore it open and flung some of the contents at the feet of the Beefeaters. In the next moment, Bert dropped the package back into the bag, grabbed its handle and picked up Bob by the neck of his sweater. He lifted his knees high and looked at the black wooden doors of the Jewel House. He raced backwards and then launched himself at one of them. It broke off its hinges.

With outstretched arms and twitching snout, Bob waddled into the darkness towards his prized gem.

Bert peered out around the door frame and across at The White Tower. The Beefeaters had picked up what he had thrown to them. Each of them sniffed what they were holding. All three exchanged a smile. Then they crammed the slices of beef into their mouths and closed their eyes with delight at the taste. Bert grinned and sped into the air. He shot over the Tower walls and along the moat.

*

Marigold was still in Ethel's embrace. Although, she was quite enjoying the Professor stroke the back of her head, she felt it had gone on long enough. Ethel must have thought so too because she suddenly released her.

'He's here!' she cried, pointing up at the sky.

Marigold looked to see Bert descending with the trolley bag around his neck. She ran to him. He picked her up and manoeuvred her onto his back. She sat on the top of the bag and looked down at the Professor.

'Come on, Ethel!' she called.

Bert held out his arms. Ethel approached them. Marigold could see she was anxious. Bert placed his arms under her legs and managed to lift her up. Bert began to sprint.

Marigold turned her face to his. She saw it was an effort for him to rise. But he flashed her a smile. She looked at Ethel. The Professor had her eyes closed and was rubbing her chest.

'Are you all right?' Marigold asked as they passed over The Wakefield Tower.

'Perfectly, my dear', replied Ethel with her eyes still shut. She winced and touched her chest again.