Adoption

Tom spent a few weeks in prison. Well, it's not exactly prison, he's exaggerating. It was actually quite fine, although small. And it seemed to get smaller by the day as Tom grew older.

He had a soft carpet to lay on and several small toy mice scattered around his cell. He was fed regularly. At first it was from a bottle but now they just fed him dull cat food. He could be at the bars where people would often stick their snaky fingers in and attempt to touch him but he never was. He much preferred to stay at the back of the cage.

He never smelt his mother or brother in the room, maybe because of the so many other smells of people or because they were already adopted. He hoped for the latter.

One day, someone came into the pet store. He wore a red mask that hid his face and a black sleeveless hoodie, the hood covering his head. His arms were both robotic. He scared Tom. Maybe it was because of what the man was wearing or because of the feeling that washed over Tom. A feeling of dread and knowing? As if Tom should know who this person is but just can't seem to grasp it.

He hissed quietly and put out his claws while arching his back. He tried to stay quiet as to not draw to much attention to himself as his feline instincts kicked in. The man did a double take on him and curiously walked towards the cage.

He stuck a robotic finger into the cage. To do what with? He could only gather a scent of metal. He didn't want to be pet. Couldn't the man see that Tom didn't want this?

Tom hissed and hit the man's hand with his claws. He chuckled and said something in another language. Tom recognized only one word; "jeg." The word was pronounced yei. It meant "I" in English. Tom only knows all this because Tord once wrote a note to him, telling him that him and Edd were grocery shopping. "PS. Jeg hater deg" was written at the bottom. He google translated it and it turned out to be "I hate you." Where was Tord from- Norway? Was he in Norway?

A woman came over; the same woman that refilled his food bowl. They spoke to each other, Tom catching none of their conversation. He was getting annoyed. Before he could do anything more, the cage door opened and the man stuck his metallic hand in. Tom yowled and he was scooped up. He tried to claw at the man but his arms were made of medal and couldn't be dented by Tom's tiny claws.

They continued talking as the man stroked Tom's pelt. With one big burst of animalistic instinct, he leaped at the man's neck and sunk his claws into the flesh. As he did this, he noticed the right side of his neck scarred with cuts. Tom now knew why he would want to wear a mask. He was going to use his teeth as well (which grew in during the weeks he spent in jail) but the man held him back.

The lady took Tom away quickly. He was filled with pride as he watched the small indents in the man's skin go red with blood. The lady carried him to a carrier and shoved him inside. There, he settled down into a small ball of fur to think about his life decisions.

The scary man took the carrier from the woman as they talked. Oh Jehovah, Tom though, he's fucking adopting me. He meowed loudly and hissed and whined, trying to portray that he didn't want this.

The man didn't decide that Tom was too loud or annoying because he took Tom right out of the pet store.

Escape was the only thing that ran through Tom's mind. He rocked the carrier and bit at the bars.

"You don't like that cage, do you?" The scary man said. Tom stopped and gapped that he had spoken in English, a language he could actually understand. "Oh? You stopped all of a sudden, cat. Do you prefer English? Heh, I do too."

The voice was somewhat familiar to Tom. Like, he knows that Tord had a Norwegian accent, but it felt more than that. Like Tom knows this person.

Not staring at the man's face and attire has really calmed Tom down. He's a lot less scary when he's just a voice.

Since Tom was staring off into space, he didn't notice when they entered a building, or when they went up an elevator, or when they walked down several hallways, or when they came to the man's room. He only snapped out of it when he was set down and the cage opened.

He sprinted out and ducked under a coffee table to bring a sense of security when he looked at the man.

And boy, did he need security.