#27 Black Swan

#27 Black Swan

I was in the dressing room, staring at the monitor. Right now, the younger division is going their group numbers.

"Emily? Emily!" I heard behind me.

"What?" I turned and it was my dance coach.

"Start touching up your makeup! We are going to run through the number once and then head up to the stage soon."

She strutted away. I sat down at my seat facing the illuminated mirror.

I took my white face paint and glided over the pre-drawn swirls on my face. I'm playing the part of a white swan in a group number of black swans. I'm the featured dancer so I have to make sure everything is perfect. My character that I'm portraying is supposed to symbolize purity, or hope. My coach want to make a point to the audience that hope can be present in any stage of darkness.

But right now, I feel like that isn't true. Right now, I'm going through a rough patch with my boyfriend. You see, we had a fight yesterday...

 I nervously paced back and forth by the door. What am I going to say to Robbie? Ugh I hate this.

I heard a car pull up in the driveway. Oh god, he's here.

The doorbell rang and I hesitated to answer it. I opened the door slowly, revealing my boyfriend standing there with a worried face. 

"Hey..." I said looking at the floor.

"Emily, I got your text. What's wrong?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Robbie, sit down." I said. He sat on the couch across from me.

"Can you please tell me what's going on, you are scaring me."

"Well, yesterday evening I went over to your house to surprise you..."

"Oh," he said with a little realization.

"And when I got up to your room, I saw April in there with you."

"Emily-" 

"Why was she there?" I demanded. 

"She was brining me my absent work from school."

I laughed in total disbelief, "Why did she kiss you?"

He was silent.

"I- I don't know. I wasn't expecting it. But she made the first move-"

"I saw you kiss her back Robbie!" I yelled. 

"I did not!" He stood up.

"You are a liar!" I stood up too. "If you truly loved me, that would have NEVER happened. You know you kissed her back for a reason."

"Ok! I will admit it! I did kiss her back! I'm sorry, it should have never happened. It was a natural response-"

"Natural..." I laugh, "I can't belive you."

"I said I was sorry Em! What more do you want from me?" He yelled. My heart shattered into a billion pieces.

"I don't know! Maybe someone who doesn't do things when someone else's back is turned! Why don't you go ask April, I'm sure she could help you all over again!" I opened the front door and gestured him out.

"Fine, maybe I will. I apologized already but obviously you can't even fathom the idea of forgiving me." He walked quickly out the door. He turned back around, "Oh, and don't plan on my being there tomorrow. Some other plans just came up." 

"What ever ..." I slammed the door and leaned against it. The back of my throat was burning and tears swelled up in my eyes. Did we just break up? Did I overreact?

I flung open the door.

"Robbie wait!" I ran out to the driveway.

He was gone...

I ran to my cell phone and dialed his number. It went straight to voice-mail.

"Robbie, hey" I said while tears fell down my face, "I'm sorry. I overreacted, please call me back. I made a stupid mistake of yelling at you and I now realize, that I- I need you. I don't care if you kissed April or not, I will let that go, please Robbie... I love you so much and I don't want us to be over... please..." I sobbed until I could talk anymore. I hit the end button. I collapsed on the couch, not knowing what do to anymore-

I heard my phone buzz on the dressing room table. I snatched it, with hope laced in my expression. Please be Robbie...

It was my mom wishing me luck. Ugh, I'm really afraid that I truly screwed everything up. Of course I'm not happy about what happened with April, but Robbie has been the best part of my whole life and it was all my fault that it was gone.

"Emily! We are running through the dance. C'mon."

I checked my phone once more and unzipped my jacket. I fluffed up my white dress, while my friend adjusted my feather clip on my head.

We got into a small formation to do a small run through of the dance. While all the black swans were doing some floor moves in the back, I did an aerial to center of our pretend stage and do a complicated advanced set of turns. I nailed them every time.

Our coach ran in. 

"Ok, its our turn to rock that stage. Now let's go up there and win this thing!" She cheered trying to get us pumped up. We all ran upstairs to get in our starting positions. I rubbed some chalk onto the bottom of my point shoes. I'm ready....

"Please put your hands together for our next large group lyrical senior division group number entitled Black Swan!"

The audience cheered and I could hear my friends cheering extra loudly. 

The black swans walked out in unison and got ready in our first formation. The music started with them flapping their wings behind them.  I stepped out onto the stage with many turns and stunts while the others danced around me. They got into the final position where I do the highlight of the dance. I did my aerial perfectly. Yes! More points!

This all seemed to happen in slow motion. When prepping myself to turn, I saw April sitting in the audience. Don't think about her... I thought to myself.

I went up onto my toes and began turning. So far so good. I couldn't stop thinking about April, but that's when it all when wrong.

I felt my point shoes slip underneath me, ending with a vicious 'Crack!' coming from my ankle. I fell to the ground and screamed in utter pain. My fellow dancers surrounded me, but they did not know how to respond. I just hold my foot trying my best not to cry in front of the judges. 

All of the sudden I heard, "Back up! Give her some space! Let me through!" 

I looked up.

"Robbie?" I smiled, he dropped down to my level.

"Yes love." He smiled.

"What are you doing here? I thought you hated me."

"I could never miss this, and I could NEVER hate you, Em. I love you."

"I love you too. Robbie. Look, I'm sorry, I overreacted and-"

"Let's not talk about this here love, your ankle looks pretty bad..." He said cupping my face.

"Oh right." I chuckled. I completely forgot about my ankle.

"Let me take you to the hospital." he picked me up in his arms.

"My hero." I rested my head on his shoulder.

This for ouat_neverland. Sorry if it is cheesy lol