prologue

5 years ago...

swoosh

A boy no more than fifteen years old yanks the iron sword down at a girl laying by his feet. The crowd is deadly silent. Tension fills the air. People in crowds edging to see what was going on. As the sword comes deadly fast at the hurt girl, she looks up with a glint in her eye. The girl swiftly rolls towards the left. Jumping up before the poor boy could say anything she grabbed the sword still in motion and swung it directly at his face. As the sword made contact with the metal helmet a clang ran through the stadium. The boy collapsed unconscious on the ground. The next thing anyone knew everyone was standing and yelling cheering as the victor was announced.

"Wow! If you look at that folks, Katy Jenkins has won again!" A stong gravely voice announced with false happiness.

At that moment no one noticed the healers run to grab the unconscious boy and the hurt victor. Know one noticed the fourteen-year-old girl sitting there watching in awe. Who would? Ellie Merany was never noticed. Not even by her own siblings. Of course, she had her best friend, Anne. But Anne had moved away when the new lord came to power. He had declared that anyone who was thirteen or older would be tested to be his wife. Anne just so happened to be the most beautiful girl in the village. Therefore, Anne was forced to run unless she wanted to marry a cruel man. It had been a year and the lord picked a girl with beautiful blue eyes. But Ellie was still alone.

Now as she watched the healers fix the injured from the previous battle she remembered why she had come. It was because of her hero. Katy Jenkins. That woman was one of the first women to be a gladiator and go on a 100-day victory streak. Back when Ellie's parents were alive, they would tell tales of how no woman could ever fight a battle untell she came along. Her mom was always a strong independent woman. And her father would always be the kind man from the butcher shop. Ellie's parents had died during a thunderstorm. To make matters worse her parent's death was on her birthday. She had only been eight but she could still hear the sound as her house collapsed with her parents inside.

She was suddenly shaken out of her thoughts when one of her sibling's friends poured greasy fish and cold water on her head. Ellie had to grind her teeth to stop shouting in surprise. When she looked behind her she saw her brothers best friend and her sister's boyfriend laughing. Ellie had four siblings and being the youngest she was treated like trash. The oldest was her sister Mary. She was beautiful, not to add the most popular. Her black hairs and blue eyes contrasted with her pale skin. Her smooth skin allowed boys to follow her every command. Plus, she was only seventeen. If she hadn't been sick when the lord picked his wife, he would have chosen her.

Then Ellie had her seventeen-year-old brother, Jake. He was the worst when it came to bullying. He had black hair like Marrys and green eyes that girls fell for without a second glance. He and his best friend Jared would punch her every chance they got. To add to the bullying, girls and boys would give Ellie evil glares and would gladly help beat her up. Ellie didn't know why everyone hated her. But, she assumed it was because Ellie had been the last one out of the house when her parents died and because of this her siblings probably thought that it was her fault. Clearly, they hadn't seen the bolt of lightning appear from the sky that took down their house.

Lastly, there were the twins, Amy and Addie. You could say they were Marrys most dedicated followers. Not even Marrys boyfriend could stop what they were willing to do for her. Even though the twins were only sixteen They still were one of the lucky few who got to be in Marrys friend group. They both had blue eyes. But Amy had blond hair while Addie had brown. Ellie never looked like her siblings. She had white hair with natural black tips. Hair like this wasn't uncommon in these types of areas. So it was nothing to worry about. Though her eyes were uncommon. Her eyes were naturally hazel. But at night when no one but she could see they turned into bright blue, not like her sisters dark and fierce ones. Instead, they almost looked like ice.

The crowds started to clear. Ellie hadn't realized that while in a trance of thought, her siblings had ditched her. She let out a tired sighed. That's when a loud thump came from her right. When she glanced up to see who it was she had to make sure she was seeing right. It was Katy Jenkins! But, why would someone so famous sit next to her? Katy seemed to be enjoying the confusion because she just sat there smiling.

"Why are you sitting here? I mean not to be rude or anything but could you explain why you're sitting here, instead of anywhere else" She quickly stammered.

Katy looks at Ellie almost bored before saying "Simple, you were alone." Ellie was shocked by this no one had ever even cared. "If you don't mind me asking where is your way home? people, your age can't go in here without a guardian sixteen or higher." Ellie could feel heat rush to her cheeks. It was true no one could come in without a guardian. The only reason Marry brought her was so the house didn't burn down. Trouble always appeared at their doorstep, literally. One time while she was left at the house alone a man tried to rob the house when he ended up catching on fire and running to the doorstep which by then a patroller had seen him. There was also this one time her best friend Anne tried to knock on the door to let Ellie know she was there. When a flaming sword crashed down the door. There was this other time where she- And... well... you get the point.

"Ummm... my guardian ditched me," Ellie said shyly. For a moment she could see the disbelief on Katy Jenkins face. Then it was gone and replaced with a warm smile.

"I'll take you home," Katy said. It was Ellies turn to be shocked. And as much as she protested Katy would not change her mind. So they left for Ellie's home the moonlight glistening off her hair. When they reached the simple house Ellie prayed her sister wouldn't notice she was with Katy Jenkins.

"Here take my necklace I don't wear jewelry anymore and I have no use for it. It means courage and happiness. My mentor gave it to me when I started out. Now it's your turn to do something special." Ellie turned to Katy why is she giving her something so important to her willingly. Before she could say no Katy shoved the jewelry in her hand and walked away. Ellie looked at the necklace to shocked to do anything but stare. It was beautiful. The piece of jewelry had a moon crescent on it with a blue gemstone at the top. The necklace glinted in the moonlight. Ellie had never felt so connected to something before. Not worrying about the consequences of being home late or the fact that she would wake her siblings up she headed towards the door. And as she put the necklace on a small smile spread across her lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Ellie walked inside she didn't know a prophecy was being made. A prophecy about her and who she would become the day she turned fifteen. That just so happens to be sooner than she thinks. And in the dark depths of a forbidden world, the prophecy was read out loud to whoever must hear...

Destruction rains and chaos shall fall

A young girl stands high and tall

When the moon sets and her hand touches the ruby stone

A power unleashes that's never been known

with a war raging on

a beast returns that once was thought gone,

Time has come to end all wrongs

To the world, she will belong

with a beast by her side and powers far greater than imagined

All people can do is believe the unimagined.

But do not fear for she will save the day

and the darkness will no longer slay.