The Outfit

As Ellie reached the classroom door she peeked into the small window on the wooden doorframe. The class was deserted. Where was everyone? Did she read the time wrong? No, Ellie was one of the smartest girls in the school. She couldn't have misread the clock even if her life depended on it. Mabey they were out in the courtyard. 

Ellie made her way to the front entrance where the courtyard was located. As she stepped outside she could see several teachers carrying wooden benches. What is going on? Ellie silently thought. A teacher who she recognized as Mrs. Konley noticed her and looked at her in shock. Mrs. Konley had long wavy black hair and dark blue eyes. She was the only teacher who didn't hate her. (Then, again she didn't like her either.) "Ellie, what are you doing out here? Everyone is supposed to be getting ready." 

"What do you mean?" Ellie asked confused.

"You don't know? It was such short notice but I would have expected you to know. Everyone was set home to get ready, the dragon riders are coming to pick their new recruits." At this Ellie's eyes widen. Dragon riders? This hadn't happened in 50 years. Why now? Was there something more going on then what she had been told? No these were silly thoughts. The dragon riders had probably gotten old and need more riders in case of an attack. 

When her parents were alive they had said that the last time dragon riders came to the village everyone was gathered in the biggest section of town, (this was probably the school's courtyard.) dressed in their best clothing. Ellie had no idea why they needed to wear so much formal cloth. It wanst likes the riders wore fancy outfits. They wore simple black pants with a shirt that matched their dragons color. On the shirt, in tiny print, the logo for the academy was on it. "With all our might we fight.

If Ellie remembered correctly all boys 15-21 were gathered to the front and would place their hand on a red stone. If the stone lit up that boy was a dragon rider. Ellie's dad told her that the stone was like a ruby and the brighter it shone the more powerful the rider was. The irony was how this was located in an all-girl school when only boys were chosen.

 Ellie sighed if only she could go. Most girls swooned over the dragon riders. they were muscular from training and had an unnatural aurora. But Ellie refused to do anything the other girls did. No one would take her heart away. Not even if her siblings beat her up every day of her life. Not even if she had to be a servant for them till she dies. And if Ellie by some chance. Some miracle became a dragon rider she would finally be free from her sibling's grasp. Though she doubted it. Mabey if she was lucky her brother would be picked. At least then she would be rid of him.

Ellie snapped back to attention as she realized a hand waving in front of her face. "you ok Ellie?" Mrs. Konly ask. 

"Y-Yes." Ellie stammered. Then quickly ran away. Heading to her house she thought of her outfit. She didn't have anything to wear. She barely had enough clothing for one week. She could probably afford a cheap dress with the little money she had for getting food in town. Plus, she could steal some of Marry's old pair of shoes. Marry wouldn't notice it anyway. Then, she could braid her hair. But, that was all she could do for her outfit. It was her best shot for a decent looking outfit.

Ellie decided to make her way to a clothing shop for a new dress. Ellie noticed a new store filled with beautiful clothing. As Ellie reached the store she grabbed the little money she had and went inside. The store was surprisingly empty. There was an elderly lady sitting behind a large counter. When she noticed Ellie she smiled "well hello dear, came for a dress? I'll get you all beautiful in no time." Before Ellie could reply she was dragged into a changing room.

 The old lady had grey hair and wrinkles showed how old she was. The woman had to hold a cane to not fall. Ellie almost assumed this woman was crazy because of the lively energy coming off the elder. Yet when Ellie looked into her eyes she did not see a woman crazy form being old. She saw a beautiful woman with lava red hair and green eyes. A woman who was strong and hard working. Who live their life with courage and bravery. Ellie couldn't help but be in awe of the woman. (And her self) How had she seen that?