Chapter 1

Hazel rocked back and forth in the wooden rocking chair concentrating on the small patch of knitting in her hands. At the rate she was knitting, she expected she would be done sometime in fall. Mrs. Muller was a wonderful teacher but Hazel found her hands often shook spontaneously.

It had been three weeks since she moved in the older woman's cottage. The events that led her here still haunted her dreams and kept her up at night even though she kept a brave face during the day. Now she found herself taking on the art of knitting late in the night when she woke from the nightmares that made her skin crawl. It was soothing. Unlike her sleep filled with pistols pointing at her, the smell of death, the empty cottages that once held her family, and the man she loved staring at her with ice cold eyes.

It was strange she still dreamed about Mark this way. She knew he only acted that way in front of Klaus to save her life. But, being Jewish in the middle of the Nazi Regime was terrifying. Especially after death stared her in the face more than once during those dreadful two days. Hazel shook her head and thought about the positive moments that have come out of this. Living with Mrs. Muller being one of them. She had been a protective hen over Hazel since she stepped foot in her home. Even turning Mark away for days on end when she thought Hazel was too fragile for visitors.

A soft knock on the bedroom door snapped Hazel out of her thoughts. Mrs. Muller poked her head in the door. Her silver hair was neatly waved to perfection and her dark blue eyes matched the soft smile on her face.

"Hello, Dear. I can see Mark walking up the driveway again."

"At this time?" asked Hazel looked out the window. It had been dark for a few hours already.

"Do you want me to send him back home?"

"I would hate to do that. He's been persistent every day coming over. I feel horrible."

"He knows you have been through quite an ordeal. But, I have kept reminding him it will take time for things to settle down."

Mrs. Muller paused for a moment before continuing slowly, "I hear you at night."

Hazel felt her cheeks flush. She didn't realize her nightmares were audible to anyone besides her. Mrs. Muller rushed in the room and sat on the bed next to the rocking chair taking one of her hands.

"It's fine, Hazel. I'm just so sorry you had to see that from Mark. I saw him that day and I would be as terrified as you. I only wish I could take away some of that pain for you."

Hazel smiled appreciating the warm winkled hands holding hers. She could feel the admiration flowing through the woman. A soft knock on the door broke the silence between them.

"I'll tell him you are already asleep," murmured Mrs. Muller as she slowly stood up.

"No. He can come in."

Mrs. Muller paused and asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes. He's been waiting long enough."

Mrs. Muller nodded and left the room. Hazel dwelled on her decision for half a second before running to the mirror. Dark circles clouded her dull hazel eyes revealing the little amount of sleep she has endured. She brushed her wavy brown hair quickly and patted her cheeks trying to bring life back to her face. As she heard heavy boots make their way to the room, she swiftly made her way back to the bed as her heart pounded in her chest. A soft rap on the door made her suck in her breath unexpectedly unable to utter a summons.