Chapter 7

Mark paced the hallway with his hands folded behind his back. He stared at the wood under his feet as he continued to move back and forth as he waited. A soft knock pulled him out of his deep thoughts as he sprinted to the front door. He flung it open to see Dr. Keller with his medical bag in hand, a polite smile on his lips.

"Please come in," said Mark, moving aside.

"Thank you again for seeing her," said Mark as he sat across from the doctor.

"Anything for you, Mark. I'm glad to help. At least help as much as I can."

"What do you mean?" asked Mark with a raised eyebrow.

"Hazel has a condition that is similar to what I've seen a few soldiers have that come off the front line. This was prevalent during the Great War with soldiers being in trenches. But, Hazel's is different. She doesn't have any neurological symptoms, only psychological with some physical residue. Nightmares, insomnia, anxiety, and frequent episodes of being completely overwhelmed. Those are just a few examples of what we went over and discussed."

"So what can be done? How can she be cured?"

"I'm afraid there is no cure. This takes time to see if it is permanent or not."

"What do you mean?" asked Mark as his thoughts raced.

"Well, we did see some mild cases take care of themselves within a few months. Extreme cases are permanent. But, I'm referring to what I have experienced. As I mentioned before, Hazel's case is unique. Dealing with the mind is complicated and not well understood. I do believe what she has is real. Some doctors would disagree, but I've seen far too many cases from the Great War to deny that. There is no known cure. Time and patience are all that I can suggest. I have given Mrs. Muller an array of herbal remedies to help calm Hazel. This may help with her anxiety and sleep."

Mark sat quietly on the chair as he sifted through this information. This was worse than he thought. Seeing Hazel's face earlier shift to horror when looking at him was unbearable. He knew her nightmares were not only about Klaus, but they were also about him. Mrs. Muller tried to console him and tell him this was normal for Hazel now. But, that just made him more aware of how much he has damaged her.

"Mark, I can't imagine how hard this is for you. Between Mrs. Muller and Hazel, I gathered what had happened."

Mark nodded in agreement before answering, "That's why I won't be seeing Hazel anymore."

"I do think time is a good thing, but I wouldn't necessarily say you staying away from Hazel would be beneficial," said Dr. Keller

"I broke her. She was so perfect, and I brought all this chaos into her life."

"She also might not be here if it weren't for you."

Mark looked up at Dr. Keller. He was leaned back on the chair, cradling his head with his hand, carefully observing Mark.

"I think me staying out of her life might help her heal. She could move on and find someone whose love won't almost kill her. Not to mention, she wouldn't be reminded of the monster I am. I will still pay you to see her when she needs it. Mrs. Muller has your number. But, I will not risk her health for my own love for her.

Mark thought about Hazel's soft brown curls, her golden eyes that would light a room with such wonder behind them, her sweet lips that would melt his soul, and her gentle voice that moved mountains. He would miss everything about her.