Chapter 9

December 1944

Hazel leaned against the fence, watching the sunset in front of her. The watercolors danced with the low moving clouds and the disappearing sun. She pulled her coat closer to her as the cold wind picked up in speed. A snowstorm was coming, and Mrs. Muller was having a fit over it. Hazel had just finished taking care of Gunnar and decided to watch the sunset, taking a break from the chaos.

She glanced at Mark's house to see it was vacant as always. She hadn't seen him since they hid in the cellar. And, the times she has asked Mrs. Muller, she was told he was on frequent business trips. It had been so long since she had seen him, she was having a hard time remembering the physical details about him. She no longer had nightmares, but the few dreams she did have were of good times with Mark. The only problem was that the dreams were clouded with what she could and could not remember about him.

She did find herself referring back to the cellar frequently, only to remember her last time with him. Hazel's heart tugged as she remembered his strong arms around her as he whispered in her ear. She felt silly to be holding on to such memories after seven months since seeing him, but her heart still fluttered with the thought.

As the sky grew dark and the clouds starting spitting snow, she hurried back into the house. She could hear Mrs. Muller fussing over the blankets in the closet.

"Hazel? Can you check the soup on the stove? I think it may be ready," she called out from the far room.

"Yes, ma'am."

Hazel drifted over to the stove to check the soup. Steam rolled up to the ceiling as the contents bubbled a warming aroma. Her eyes gazed at the soup for a moment before her eye caught movement from the window. She glanced out the glass pane to see faint puffs of clouds coming from Mark's chimney.

"Mrs. Muller?" called Hazel.

"Yes?"

"Is Mark home?"

"No, I don't believe so."

"Then, why is there smoke coming from his fireplace?"

Hazel heard Mrs. Muller drop what she had in her hands and come to the kitchen. She peered out the window with as much curiosity as Hazel had.

"Well, I'm not sure," whispered Mrs. Muller.

"Should we call and check?"

"No, I'm sure it's fine. Maybe he's home, and I don't know it."

"But, you always seem to know where he is," pressed Hazel.

Mrs. Muller shrugged as she continued to stare at the chimney with her eyebrows together in deep thought.

"Should one of us go over there?"

With that question, Mrs. Muller snapped out of her daze and looked at Hazel severely.

"You know that's too dangerous. It could be anyone. I won't put either of us at risk by doing that. The fire is coming from the chimney, so I'm sure there is a good explanation."

Mrs. Muller's serious expression melted as she looked at the soup next to Hazel.

"It looks like it's ready. Let's take a break and eat."

Mrs. Muller pulled out some bowls and poured the piping hot soup. Hazel took hers and sat down at the dining room table. Her mind was still clouded with questions.

Is Mark home? Is he gone and someone is there? Is the house on fire? No, Mrs. Muller said it was only coming from the chimney. But, did something accidentally catch fire?