F I R S T A I D K I T

~ Chapter Five ~

Liz watched Red closely.

She was sitting on his dining table, her shirt pulled down to expose her shoulder, while he was scouring the cupboards for a first aid kit. He didn't seem to know where to look, though, more searching blindly.

"How's it going?" Liz asked carefully. "You finding something?"

His back tensed and his hand momentarily froze mid-way to his fridge's handle. "Of course," he shot back. "I'm just having a little trouble remembering where I put... the thirsty kid."

"The first aid kit?"

"Right."

Liz glanced over his shoulder as he opened the fridge. It only had two things in it: an old apple and a pocket-sized bible.

She leant back with furrowed brows.

The entire cabin seemed unused; the floor was cold, the furniture dusty and the front covered in crusty paint. It was just a skeleton in the middle of the woods — Liz guessed it was a summer house of some kind.

"You sure you have one?"

Red hummed and closed the fridge. He turned around and looked to her wound with a panicked expression returning to his chilly features. "I thought I did but I have to admit that it seems it's gone. I'm not here very often."

"I can tell."

"Maybe I can find one outside?"

Liz paused what she was going to say and gave him a long look. "Outside? You want to find a first aid kit... outside?"

"You're right," Red admitted. "The snow will make it hard to find one. It will blend right in..."

He caught her stare.

"--or stand out. What ever seems more probable."

"Alright. Enough joking. I'm really hurt. Have you checked the bathroom?"

Not waiting for an answer, Liz hopped off the table and began walking through the kitchen. Red joined closely behind her, silently herding her away from any pointy edges and high thresholds. She adamantly let him until she found a small door stuffed underneath the staircase.

"Is that the bathroom?" she asked even though she was already heading towards it.

"Yes," Red said but sounded uncertain.

She swung the door open to reveal a broom closet. Feeling the pent up frustration and adrenaline rush to her lips, she let out a growl that left Red impressed.

Until she aimed it towards him.

"What the hell! This isn't your house, is it?" she challenged accusingly.

A feral side of Red got ready to punish her for speaking like that towards him and force her to submit. But he quickly decided to do something he'd never done before: ignore his instincts.

He offered a smile, tried to make it sorry, and hoped it was the human thing to do. "It isn't. One of my subordinates use it."

Liz didn't know what she'd expected but it wasn't that. She was thrown off for a second. "Your subordinate? What exactly do you do?"

"I'm standing here," he explained slowly, wondering if the bloodloss was worse than he'd thought. He should've probably brought her to his pack's healer but that was too  dangerous by far. No, he needed a first ape kid -- like she'd said. "But you're right, we shouldn't be waiting around inside here. Is it possible to find a..."

"First aid kit," Liz filled in.

"Right. A thirst made lip. Is it possible to find that in a... store?"

She nodded then quickly brushed past him, eager to get out. "Yeah, let's go."

Red hurriedly went after her and cut her off. "You can't go," he said in response to her questioning gaze. "You'll bleed to death. Or freeze."

"That's a little dramatic. Besides, I'm only about fifty percent sure you actually know what a first aid kit is."

"I know."

"Oh, yeah?"

Red puffed up his chest, not liking his mate considering him unable. "Yes. Better than Police."

Liz suddenly lit up. "You're police?"

Red blinked a few times.

"That explains everything! Why didn't you say so?"

He wasn't sure what she was talking about but noticed how her anxiety levels had suddenly decreased drastically and took that as all the confirmation needed.

"Alright. I'll stay here. But hurry, okay?" For the first time in an hour, she offered a smile. It was faint and strained but enough to make Red get a little closer, wanting more of it. "Also, do you have a pen?"

He'd completely forgotten about their conversation and was caught off-guard for a second.

Liz rolled her eyes and reached for the first best drawer, breaking eye contact as well as the unintentional spell she'd put on the wolf in front of her.

Like magic she found an old pen rolling around inside the drawer and took it out, clicked on the head, and doodled a little on the top of her hand before reaching for his. Her soft fingers enveloped his calloused ones like a silken blanket and brought his hand up between them. He felt his cold, merciless bud of a heart bloom into a rose as pink as Liz' cheeks and wished, for a second, he could ever deserve her. A killer and a ruler such as him. And for a second he decided it didn't matter that she was human, that she would be in constant danger in his world -- he would protect her until the end of his days if that was what was called for.

Anything to keep those fingers on his skin.

Liz didn't notice how intently he stared at her as she brought the tip of the pen to the skin on his hand. She quickly scribbled something down, then let the ink dry for a second before letting go.

Red let out a choked sound.

"There, so you won't forget. Now hurry."

He looked to his hand and in the place where her fingers had been was now text as black as his packmates' eyes: first aid kit!

Red nodded, steadied his beating heart, and took a step back.

His mate needed him.

He would prove himself worthy.

Heyyo! I know I'm updating pretty consistently but that's because I might not be able to soon so I'm making the most out of the time I have.

Hope you like it!

XOXO