E S C A P E

~ Chapter Six ~

It took about ten minutes before Liz was bored out of her mind.

She'd been sat by the diningtable, twiddling her thumbs as well as scraping dried paint off the wood — all on account of following Red's orders — for a minute too long. It wasn't in her nature to sit around and the thought of Hannah potentially looking for her made her a bit antsy.

Against better judgement she stood up.

Testing her capability, Liz took a few steps forward, turned on her heel and traced them back. The pinewood creaked underneath her boots, and she was relieved to find that she didn't feel faint at all. She looked across the kitchen, wondered what this meant.

Would it be inappropriate to look around?

Red hadn't said anything about it — he left so suddenly that he even forgot his jacket on the counter!

Liz' mind paused as if it had run into a brickwall. Her eyes stayed frozen to the black leather and zippers while her fingers nervously flew to her mouth.

He'd left his jacket on the counter.

She couldn't possibly... Could she?

"Oh my god," she whispered, more to herself than anyone, and looked around her as if someone could possibly hear her in the middle of nowhere. It would be immoral — then again, she deserved to know if he was a serial killer, didn't she?

Liz tiptoed to the counter, tried to tell herself it was just for the view from the kitchen window, but she could see the jacket in her peripheral the entire time.

She stubbornly kept her gaze to the snowy landscape outside. Just pine and birch. Some skidmarks after Red's truck but that was it.

Bern was a small town, barely enough to be called such, surrounded by trees and wilderness. It was very different from what she'd been used to before she moved but Liz liked the thought of solitude, quiet, a tight-knit community in a town not even big enough to have a...

Liz' eyes glazed over as a terrifying realization hit.

Bern was a town not even big enough to have a proper police department.

"Holy shit..."

Red had said he was police. Maybe that was true but that would mean he was from out of town and in the month Liz had spent there, she'd never heard of a town close enough to be able to lend officers.

This time she couldn't stop herself as her insticts urged her to search his jacket.

She made a mental note of how it was sprawled in case she would have to put it back then, without reprecaution, stuck her hand into one of the pockets.

She fished out a small tooth, filed smooth. At first it freaked her out but at second glance she could see it wasn't human. Most likely dog... or wolf. Yuck. She decided to quickly put it back and search the other pocket instead.

She wasn't sure what she'd expected.

But it sure as hell wasn't a phone.

Her phone.

Granted, it was a common model but the scratch leading down the length of the back from when she dropped it from her balcony back home a year ago couldn't be mistaken.

"What the..."

Liz blinked a few times, felt like she was supposed to do something with this information but didn't know what. She had lost that phone in the lake. Hadn't she? Why did he have it? Was he the man who'd found her? If so, why the hell hadn't he said anything?