E P I L O G U E

~ Epilogue ~

Liz took a sip of her coffee, looked out on Mahmutlar.

The sun had risen and was frying the city whole, the mountains as well as the small balcony she was perched on. Her toes wiggled, her cheeks seared a little from all the days at the beach.

She untied her bikini top, let it drop to the floor before making herself more comfortable. She closed her eyes, leant her face towards the sun and sighed.

A pair of hands covered her eyes.

"Guess who."

Liz smiled, ran her hands up his arms while stretching. "You're back already?"

A pair of lips pressed softly against her cheek, earning a content hum from her throat. "You know I couldn't stay away for too long." The lips moved down to her neck -- paused. He drew a harsh breath as he noted just how naked she was and let his head collapse into the dip between her neck and her shoulder. He groaned theatrically. "Are you trying to kill me?"

Liz laughed before pushing him off, still keeping her eyes closed. "You got breakfast?"

"Mhm."

She nodded, swept a towel around her shoulders and got off the chair. She sat herself down by the small glass table, looked up to see a pair of eyes already watching her. "What're you smiling at?" she asked while grabbing a flattened croissant from the scrappy paperbag he'd brought.

Red shook his head, looked away but didn't stop smiling. "Reva called me."

"Really?" Liz quickly swallowed the chocolate layering her teeth and leant forward. "How's he handling the alpha roll?"

"I'm sure he's fine. He just wanted to see how we were doing."

Liz slowly took another bite, watched Red watch the view. Something had entered his eyes, just as it did every time the wolves were brought up. She wasn't sure it was necessarily sadness but she didn't like it much.

She grabbed his unsuspecting hand in hers.

"What are you smiling for?" it was now his turn to ask.

"I don't know... Red, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Are you happy? Here, with me?"

The croissant stopped halfway to his mouth. He gave her an odd look. Then shook his head dismissively and bit in. "You're crazy."

Liz frowned, a little caught off-guard. "What? What makes you say that?"

"Because only a crazy woman could see me, sitting here, looking at this," he motioned to her half naked-self, "and question the fact that I am the happiest man in the world."

She fell back in her chair, rolled her eyes but couldn't stop the smile tugging her lips. "You're an idiot."

Red chuckled in response, plopping what was left of his croissant into his mouth and grabbing her coffee. He took a swig of it before asking, "You want to go to the beach today again?"

"We've been doing nothing but go to the beach for three weeks straight."

"So, yes then."

"Absolutely." She plucked the coffee back from his hold. Allowed her eyes to roam the mountain-chains surrounding the town, the waves crashing onto the beach. "What a view," she sighed.

"You know, I thought I enjoyed living in the darkness but this... This is incomparable." He let a stray finger dance across the top of Liz's hand. The sun mirrored in his eyes. "All of it."

"Does that mean I can have the last croissant?"

Red rolled his eyes, began to pull back but had his hand caught by a much smaller one. She didn't let go. Liz stood up, walked over to him and got close. She slowly removed the finger holding up her towel, let it fall to the ground. On her face played a cheeky grin. "You wanna go inside?"

He got up, earned a squeal from Liz as he pulled her close -- he caught her lips in his. "More than anything else in the world."

E N D

Until next book xoxo